Chapter Forty

It was now early November and Autumn leaves were falling from the trees. Alan was sitting in his lounge one Saturday evening, waiting for Clare. She was coming round to watch a video with him and he was going to order pizza. Two bottles of her favourite wine were already cooling in the fridge, together with two chocolate mousses from Marks and Spencer.

As Alan lay stretched out on the sofa, easy listening music playing in the background, his mind wandered. If his mind wandered, it was usually Clare who took his thoughts. She was still upset about Hal and Angie had told him recently that she'd heard Clare crying bitterly one night in her bedroom. It was very upsetting and had Angie worried, but Matthew said it was best not to interfere. It would be Hal's birthday at the end of November and Clare was going to the cemetery with her mother to visit the grave on the first anniversary of his death, in January. Both of these events would be difficult for her, he knew.

He also knew he had a long way to travel yet, in his pursuit of Clare. It was incredible to think that it was almost a year since Hal's death. The time had flown by for him, but not for her. He'd enjoyed his year, although it was hard watching her suffer. 'That's life though', he thought, 'there are always winners and losers.' He wasn't sure if Clare could ever have feelings for him, but one thing he did know, he was glad Marie was no longer part of his life and hopefully their divorce would be through soon and he would be a free man, at last.

The bell rang and Alan rose from the sofa to answer the door. There was Clare, standing in the doorway looking so appealing that he found it difficult not to gather her up into his arms and kiss her, but he smiled at her instead.

"Hello Clare, come on in."

She stepped into the hallway.

"Hello Alan, you look nice. That shirt's very attractive." She removed her jacket, saying, "You should wear blue more often, it brings out the colour of your eyes."

"Ooh, compliments," said Alan, taking her jacket and hanging it on a coat peg. "What are you after?"

She smiled. "A video, pizza and a glass or two of wine, I hope." she replied.

Alan closed the front door and followed her into the lounge. He was feeling nervous. He knew it was stupid, but somehow inviting her to his apartment was intimate and made him feel jittery, although they were just good friends as far as she was concerned. Clare sat down on the small sofa near the television.

"I like that music. Who is it?" asked Clare.

"M People. They are good. Their music always cheers me up if I'm feeling low."

"Yes, I know what you mean, it's lively and positive." said Clare.

Alan was pleased with her remarks, as he'd taken a lot of trouble to find music that wouldn't upset her. It seemed his hard work had paid off. He ordered a pizza and when it arrived they sat at the dining table and he poured the wine.

"The room looks lovely, Alan. Did you decorate it yourself?" she asked.

"Oh, no! I'm no good at that. It didn't really need a coat of paint, but I thought just as well to freshen it up. I had a local decorator in. I was pleased with his work and he was a tidy worker. I do hate mess." He smiled at her and she smiled back.

"I do know that, Alan." she said. She paused and then laughed.

"Remember how dirty I used to be when I was a little girl? I was always messy! It used to drive mum to distraction! She said to me just recently, "Clare, if you ever have children, I do hope one of them is just like you used to be – it would serve you right!"