Chapter Seventy Six

Clare opened her eyes and found the room in darkness. As her eyes grew accustomed to the low light she noticed a clock on the wall. It was 9.30 pm. Where was she? What had happened? She remembered seeing Alan, but where was he now? Just at that moment, a nurse came through the door and Clare realised she was in a hospital room.

"How are you feeling?" The nurse asked her. "Would you like a drink of water or perhaps a cup of tea?"

"What's happening? Why am I here?"

"You've been very ill with a virus and you were in the ICU for five days. Now you're on the mend you've been moved to this private room. Alan arranged it for you."

"Where is he?"

"He stayed here day and night for five days, while you were in the intensive care unit, but now you're here he's gone home. He'll be back shortly, he's just gone to see to his post."

"He'll be back?"

"Yes. Very soon now. You're very lucky you know. He loves you very much."

The nurse took Clare's temperature and blood pressure and gave her a drink of water. "Well, that's an improvement. Hopefully, you'll eat something tomorrow and that will help you regain your strength."

The nurse left the room and Clare closed her eyes and tried to relax. Alan would be back soon. If he said he would be back, he would be. He'd never let her down.

She heard the door open and close and she opened her eyes and there he was, smiling down upon her. Her heart fluttered.

"Hello, Clare. How are you feeling?" He bent forward and kissed her cheek, then sat beside her.

"I feel better now you're here. I was very confused, I woke up and didn't know where I was, until a nurse came in."

"They warned us that might happen. Some people have weird dreams and nightmares in the ICU. I am so glad you're better Mrs Porter, you had us all so worried. This has been the worst five days of my life!"

"I don't want to be Mrs Porter any more." she said, reaching for his hand across the bedspread. "I want to be Mrs Harding."

Alan kissed her fingers.

"Are you sure, Clare?"

"Yes, I'm sure."

"Well then, this is yours." He took a little black velvet box from his pocket, inside which was Clare's beautiful solitaire ring. He slipped it on her finger and they were both moved to tears.

"I'm sorry, Alan. Do you forgive me?"

"Darling, there's nothing to forgive. I have to go now, they told me just five minutes. You get some proper rest and I'll see you in the morning. I'm residing in a private room next door. It cost me an arm and a leg, but boy was it worth it." Alan laughed and Clare felt happier knowing he would be next door. He slipped away, after blowing a kiss from the doorway and she nestled down into the bed and soon fell into a restful sleep.