Chapter Sixty Seven

Clare packed a small suitcase for her visit to her mother's. By the time she arrived at the house it was 10.15 pm. Fortunately, there was a parking space close by. Kathy was standing in the window waving and she came to the door to let her in.  Clare threw her arms around her mother's neck.

"Oh mum, I'm sorry to be such a nuisance, but I had to get away."

Kathy kissed her cheek and smoothed her hair.

"Darling, what did you quarrel about? Can you say?"

"No. It's private...anyway it was more like 'All Out War'."

"Was it really that bad?" asked Kathy.

"Yes, mum. There will be no going back from here."

Clare placed her suitcase in the hallway and followed Kathy into the lounge.

"I can't say how sorry I am." said Kathy. "I was a bit shaken up when you rang just now."

"I'm going to have to think seriously about the future." said Clare as she threw herself into the nearest chair. "I may go abroad for a while, give myself something else to think about. I've always fancied Africa."

"Just don't go rushing into anything," said Kathy.

"No, I won't. Neither am I going to cry any more tears over Alan. I refuse to cry another one!"

Kathy sat down and then got up again.

"I know," she said. "Let's have a hot chocolate! I've got some lovely chocolate biscuits somewhere. That will cheer us up!"

"It's times like these that I certainly know I'm your daughter." said Clare.

Pink mugs in hands, they sat drinking hot chocolate and munching on biscuits. Clare looked around the room. Kathy always had the knack of making a room so cosy. Tonight was no exception. Two beautiful Tiffany lamps shed a soft, warm glow around the room. Clare tucked her feet beneath her, snuggled down into the chair and began to relax.

"This makes me feel very decadent." said Kathy.

"We all deserve a treat now and then." Clare replied.

A photograph on the mantlepiece caught her eye and she stood up and walked towards it. It was a photograph of her mother with Frank Middleton.  Clare picked it up.  They were laughing and looked very relaxed with one another; a romance in the making.

"What a lovely photo of you and Frank.  Where was it taken?"

"We went on a coach trip to Paington in the summer.  It was the best day of the year for weather, we were really lucky."

"Oh....How did you meet him again? Is he a widower now, or is he divorced?"

"His wife died from cancer around the same time as your dad. I applied for a part time job in an office and when I arrived, for an interview, Frank was there. He owns a small printing business."

"He always gave us sweets, me and..." Clare was about to say 'Alan' but she was too upset to mention his name.

"Well, I'm glad you approve because I'm moving in with him."

"What? You're going to live with him?" Clare asked wide eyed.

"Yes. I'm putting this house up for sale and going to live with him at Winterbourne Down. He's got a lovely place there. Beautifully done out."

"What? You're going to live with him?" Clare was shocked. She knew her mother's principles were the same as her own.

"Yes...I mean no...No, not live with him like that. We're getting married...soon... maybe early Summer. We've known one another for years and we're very happy together, so there's no need to hang about. I wonder how long it will take to sell this house?"

Clare sighed with relief and she sat on the sofa and hugged her mother.  "I'm so pleased for you mum. I'm sorry I was so selfish before, it just never occurred to me that you would want to marry again. It came as a shock."

"Oh darling, it's okay...you will come to the wedding won't you?"

Later, when Clare was snuggled up in her mother's spare bed, there was a knock on the door.

"Darling, here's a blanket, I know how you hate those duvets."

Clare put on the bedside light and Kathy placed the blanket on the chair by the door and sat down on Clare's bed. She leant forward and stroked Clare's cheek and kissed her forehead.

"Thanks mum."

Kathy said 'Good Night' and turned to leave the room.

"Mum? You've always said that having principles is very important and that you shouldn't water them down, you have to keep them strong. Do you still feel the same?"

"Yes. Definitely. Next to love, it's what makes the world go round.  Good Night, Darling, sweet dreams. And don't worry, it will all work out."

Clare felt better having heard those reassuring words from her mother. She knew she'd done the right thing, in keeping her principles intact.  Her mother left and Clare snuggled down under the blanket. Her mother's house, like Alan's flat was always too warm for her and she hated duvets.  She was too old fashioned for duvets, and she knew it. Too old fashioned for 1999 and probably too old fashioned for Alan.  She wondered, (not that she really cared) what he was doing and hoped against hope that he wasn't drowning his sorrows in a bottle of whiskey!