Chapter Seventy Eight

DEDICATED TO ELDORADO16

An appointment was made with Mr John Barber, the Minister of Frank's Methodist Chapel and Clare and Alan went to see him. Couples wishing to be married at the Chapel had to attend a Marriage Course to learn about the meaning of Christian marriage. They were signed on the course and they also had to attend one service each Sunday to hear the banns being called. The date of the 18 April was booked for their quiet Friday wedding.

Clare looked happily out of her bedroom window into the cul-de-sac. The sun was shining brightly, although there was a sharp breeze. She glanced at her watch. It was 10.15 am and their wedding was planned for 11 am. Kathy would be here shortly in the wedding car and they would go together to the Methodist Chapel. Alan was driving his own car. She was beginning to get excited. What a wonderful day it was going to be! She would soon be Mrs Harding. . .  Mrs Harding! Mrs Harding! Mrs Harding!

She picked up her platinum cross from the mahogany jewellery box and fixed it around her neck. Alan had asked her to wear it today, it seemed appropriate and also because he had rescued it for her. The diamonds glinted in the sunlight. It was still the most beautiful cross she had ever seen and she adored it.

Looking into her full length mirror she smiled at her reflection. She was wearing a waisted, midi length cream lace dress with a flared skirt. Around the waist, was a wide blue ribbon. Over this, she wore a mid blue cropped, long sleeved jacket, with a blue silk collar. She had found a beautiful Vintage jewelled headpiece, on a hairband to wear in her dark hair. A small bouquet of cream roses intertwined with blue ribbons lay on her bed. She picked them up and went downstairs.

At 10.50 am the white Rolls Royce dropped Clare and Kathy at the Chapel. The sun had gone in now and the wind had messed their hair, so Kathy gave them a quick brush up in the vestibule. Frank, who was to give Clare away, was bristling with pride. He had no children of his own and had taken to Kathy and her family with an open heart.

"You look lovely, Clare." Frank said, kissing her cheek. "I feel honoured to be here today."

"You look very smart too, Frank. And I feel honoured that you are doing this for me." smiled Clare.

"I think I'm going to cry!" said Kathy.

They walked down the left hand aisle to the wedding march, played by the organist. It was a great surprise to Clare, as they had not organised any music, so she felt overwhelmed. Placed on the left and right hand sides of the altar, were two beautiful, large arrangements of yellow Chrysanthemums. And there was Alan, standing by the Minister, as handsome and tall as ever looking like the proverbial grinning Cheshire cat. He was wearing a pale grey suit with a Victorian jacquard waistcoat in blue silk, with matching tie. Halfway down the aisle Alan mouthed to her, 'I love you' and her heart fluttered.

Frank and Clare reached the altar and the music stopped. Clare handed her bouquet to Kathy who stood behind them. The Minister said "Welcome, everyone to the wedding of Alan and Clare." He then started the service. "Who gives this woman to be married to this man?" asked the Minister.

"I do." said Frank proudly and he offered Clare's hand to the Minister and then he stood back with Kathy by the front pew.

They made their vows to one another, Alan and Clare, very solemnly and seriously and then exchanged rings. When the Minister reached the part, ". . . in the name of the Father, and the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Those whom God has joined together, let no one put asunder. Amen." the sun came pouring in all it's brilliance through the Chapel windows, leaving rainbow arcs across the large space. It was an emotional moment for Clare. If God was with them, who could be against them?

There were no bridesmaids, no hymns, no extended family, no friends, but everyone there was deeply aware of the presence of God. The Minister said a prayer of blessing, the Lord's Prayer and then the Benediction.

"You may now kiss the bride." he said to Alan.

Alan put his hands on Clare's face and kissed her tenderly. Everyone in the chapel clapped and cheered; Clare felt giddy with excitement.

"I now present to you Mr and Mrs Harding." said the Minister.

A few older members of the congregation had come to witness the wedding and they came up and congratulated Alan and Clare. During the weeks before their wedding, all of the members had made them so welcome that Alan and Clare had decided to keep going to the church. There was only one other young couple, called Jason and Sarah, but they were slowly becoming friends.

A photographer was waiting for them at the Chapel door and took several photographs. This was another surprise for Clare as she didn't think Alan could arrange a photographer so quickly.

Alan took Clare, Frank and Kathy out to lunch at a lovely little restaurant for lunch, where no expense was spared. They spent two wonderful hours eating lovely food and drinking champagne. Alan drank only soft drinks as he was driving them to their Honeymoon hotel later that afternoon.

Frank and Kathy left and it was time to go to the Cotswolds where their Honeymoon was to be held. As they were leaving the restaurant, Alan said "I'm so sorry, we'll have to go back. I've left something in my flat which I want you to have."

"What is it?" asked Clare.

"It's a surprise." said Alan.

Although she tried to prise it out of him, he wouldn't say another word on the subject...