Chapter Five

It was Saturday afternoon and the streets were crowded with happy shoppers enjoying the June sunshine. Clare and Hal stood hand in hand on the pavement peering into a Jeweller's shop window. "We'll have to go somewhere else," said Clare as her eyes searched through the trays of rings. "It's very expensive, there's not one a single one under £3,000."

"No, this is the place," Hal replied. "I know the people who own it."  

Hal made to go into the shop, pulling her behind him. Clare touched his arm and stopped him. "No, Hal, you mustn't. You can't afford it."

Hal look puzzled. "And how do you know that?"

"I found a newspaper clipping about Rosella on your desk. Why didn't you tell me she'd stolen all your money as well as embezzled from her company?"

Hal frowned. Clare knew the mention of his ex wife would upset him, but she had to say her piece.  "I'm not like her and I don't want you to spend that sort of money on a ring. It would mean just as much to me if it cost £100. It would be your gift to me and that's all that matters."

Hal sighed.

"Clare. I'm sorry, I should have told you, but I was so happy with you it seemed unimportant." He pulled her into his arms.

"I haven't told you before, but I'm a rich man, (and please don't tell my colleagues at the University, because they'll be jealous). I was wiped out when Ro... my ex wife stole all my money and yes it was shocking, upsetting, but when my Aunt died she left her very substantial fortune to me. We come from a wealthy family, so there's no need for you to worry."

He hugged her closer and kissed the top of her head.

"I only want the best for you sweetheart. You deserve it." he whispered.

Clare was close to tears, it seemed too much to take in, but she was unable to protest as Hal pulled her gently through the door and into the shop.

It was not the normal type of jeweller's shop. The shelves were sparsely filled with large, bronze figures and china and glass ornaments, not to Clare's taste and she wondered just how wealthy a person would have to be to buy anything here. Hanging on the walls were tapestries and oil paintings, which appeared very old and these were also on sale. In the middle of the room was a glass cabinet displaying a few select pieces of jewelery, but the prices were out of this world.

Clare tugged Hal's arm. "We'll have to leave, it's far too pricey." He ignored her and a smartly dressed woman, who had been rearranging bracelets and necklaces on a blue velvet display, came forward and spoke to them.

"Can I help you?"

"We're looking for an engagement ring." Hal and Clare said in unison.

They all laughed together.

"And wedding rings to match." said Hal.

"Have you anything in mind? Diamonds are always popular, of course."

The assistant bent down into the glass cabinet and picked up two trays of the highest quality diamond rings. Clare was astonished.

"But..." she said.

"No buts." said Hal "Would you like a diamond or perhaps diamonds surrounding a coloured stone. That would be something different. Those look nice on that tray."

She glanced to where he was pointing and a blue stone, an aquamarine, took her fancy.

"They're stunning!" she said.

The sales assistant measured their fingers and Clare chose an oblong shaped aquamarine with a square diamond either side. Hal had good taste when it came to jewellery and although she still felt awkward about it, the ring looked so lovely on her finger, she relented and allowed him to buy it. Not that there was much hope of stopping Hal once he'd made up his mind. They also chose gold wedding bands, his and hers, to match.

Clare really loved Hal's old Victorian house and they decided to live there after they were married. She was keen to have a church wedding because of her faith and Hal agreed, as he wanted everything to be 'right' this time, as opposed to being 'wrong' the last time. He also had a solid, if slightly quirky, faith in God and it was satisfying for Clare to share it with him.

Hal no longer called her 'my dear', but my 'love' and 'sweetheart'.  He only wore white shirts now, as she said they would match everything he wore and she encouraged him to wear black shoes for the same reason. She'd made a new man of him and he was pleased. The fact that he was putty in her hands never occurred to him.

As they made their wedding preparations Clare's sister Sandra and her brother in law Stephen, moved back to Bristol and came to live nearby. Hal met them and the girls and they all felt as if they'd known him all of their lives, he was the kind of person who fitted perfectly into their family circle. Laura and Sophie loved their 'Uncle Harry' and he always took them presents when he and Clare went to visit. She told him he would spoil them, but it made no difference.

They were sitting now in the dining room, side by side, preparing a list of guests they wished to invite to their wedding. As Hal was a divorced man, they were having a short civil service at the Registry Office to which only Clare's mother, Sandra and the family were invited. Then, two hours later, a Blessing Service at St Martin's, Hal's local Church of England. It would include hymns, flowers and all of the usual trappings of a church wedding.

"What a shame you've got no family," said Clare "There will be no-one on your side at all."

"I love your family, they're all the family I need." Hal replied, squeezing her hand.

It was a sweet thing for him to say and she knew that he meant it.

"We'll have to sit your friends on that side instead." said Clare. "It makes me feel sad that your parents won't be there, nor my dad."

"Well, we know where they are. I'm sure they'll be watching over us." said Hal.

For a brief moment, Clare felt angry. She'd been deprived of her in-laws because of hateful, violent men and she would never get to know them or meet them.

"Do you ever feel bitter towards the men who killed your parents?" asked Clare.

"Sometimes." Hal replied "But it's best to let things go, forgive and move on. I bear no ill feeling towards black South Africans, many of them are good people and the men who set the fire have probably been killed themselves by now. 'Those who live by the sword die by the sword'," said Hal "And different tribes are often vicious to one another, not only to white people." After their discussions, they finally returned to the business of planning the wedding.