Chapter Seventeen

It was only a matter of weeks before Sandra's baby was born on the 15th June. This time it was a boy. Everyone was delighted and she intended calling him Toby. Clare argued with her mother and said how could Sandra possibly call him Toby, it was a horrible name.

"I don't like it either, but frankly Clare, it's her baby and she can call him what she likes. Please don't upset her by saying anything." Kathy replied.

Clare and Hal visited Sandra when she brought the baby home, having spent just one night in the hospital. Hal took Sandra a large bouquet of roses, as he liked buying flowers. They gave the baby presents of a white teddy bear and two white babygros. Hal also gave Toby a decent sum of money to place into a savings account, giving the same amount to Laura and Sophie so they wouldn't feel left out and they each had a present for the same reason. Clare was proud, as always, of Hal's sweet, generous nature.

The baby was gorgeous with a dark head of hair, he looked just like Stephen who was very proud of his new son and was a doting father. Sandra said the birth was much quicker and easier this time, but she thought three children was enough now they had a boy. She wouldn't be having any more.

"You'd better say, 'God willing.'" said Clare "You never know."

"I do know!" said Sandra "I'm definitely not having any more babies." She shot a look at Stephen. It said it all. Clare laughed quietly to herself. She knew what Sandra was like, she felt sorry for Stephen sometimes. He had a lot to put up with. However, he knew how to handle her and they were happy together.

Clare wondered if Hal thought she was difficult at times. She imagined him standing in the University, saying "That wife of mine, she's such a clumsy, useless woman, she covers herself in yogurt and forgets to lock the back door. I think I'll get a dog instead." No, he definitely wouldn't get a dog. Clare wanted a puppy, but Hal said it wasn't fair if they were both out at work all day. Perhaps, when they started a family they could have a puppy. He wouldn't object then, he said.

"Can I hold him?" asked Hal and Clare was brought back down to earth. Sandra passed the baby to Hal and Clare saw a look of complete and utter joy on his face as he looked down on the beautiful baby boy in his arms. Hal was so big he made the baby look tiny in comparison. Tears pricked Clare's eyes and she felt emotional for a moment. That could have been their baby Hal was holding... but it wasn't.

It was lovely to see the family, the girls loved their baby brother, but it left Clare feeling restless. She wanted a family too. Hal said it would come in time, but would it?