Chapter Fifty

The Easter break was coming up shortly, at the beginning of April and the winter was slowly disappearing. Three weeks before, Clare had moved happily into No. 4 Maddison Gardens and was still settling in. Alan was with her now, watching as she knelt on the floor unpacking boxes of books. "How many books have you got?" he asked. As he hated books he couldn't think why anyone would want several boxes of the things.

"I'm not sure, enough to fill a small library I should imagine. It's stupid, really, but I can't bear to part with them. Ooh, I forgot I had this one."

She pulled a large book from the bottom of a box, opened it and flipped through the pages.

"I've got two tickets for a fancy dress Easter Ball. Would you come with me?" Alan asked, bored with the books.

"I don't like fancy dress." said Clare.

His heart sank. It would be disappointing if she wouldn't come with him.

"Neither do I, but it's in aid of the Heart Foundation and since dad died of a heart attack I decided to support it. Sabrina Harris is keen on charity work and I've bought the tickets from her. Philip and Libby are coming. You haven't met Libby yet and I know you'd like her. It'll be a really good night, Sabrina said." This was true, coupled with the fact that Alan was desperate to hold Clare in his arms whilst they danced the night away.

"Hal died of a heart attack, so I suppose I ought to... and I'd love to meet Libby. All right then, thank you. How much are the tickets?"

"Can't remember, anyway it's my treat." said Alan.

"I'll pay for the taxi then. We won't want to drive will we? What can we go as?" asked Clare. "Anthony and Cleopatra?"

"Me, wear a skirt, you're kidding?" Alan said.

"Perhaps we could do a role reversal. I'll be Anthony and you could be Cleopatra wearing a long dress. That way you would hide your legs and I could show mine." Clare laughed as she stacked a pile of books onto the floor.

"Oh come on, we've got to get this right." said Alan.

"Um.....Laurel and Hardy? You like comedy."

"But I don't like dressing up in costume." said Alan. "Oh, this is a nightmare!" "You don't like dressing up?" asked Clare, pondering it over.

She continued to search through the boxes and picked up a book by Ian Fleming. "How about James Bond, you'd make a stunning Bond! You could wear a dinner jacket and bow tie, that's not fancy dress. And I could go as Miss Money Penny. I've got a red evening dress and a pair of glasses."

"Brilliant! I could hire a dinner suit. James Bond and Miss Money Penny...I can't wait to tell Angie."

Alan felt like an excited school-boy. He was looking forward to the Easter Ball now he knew what they were going as. He watched as Clare stacked another pile of books on the floor.

"Where are you going to put them?" he asked.

She looked across at him and laughed. "To be honest, I've no idea."

"They'd make a nice little bonfire!" said Alan, pulling a face.