Chapter Seventy Nine

DEDICATED TO GDENPLNTY

They arrived at Maddison Gardens and Alan parked his BMW. "I won't be long." said Alan. "I'll just grab it and I'll be back."

"I'm coming with you." said Clare.

"There's no need for you to come, I won't be two ticks."

They both got out of the car.

"You want an argument do you, Mr Harding? Our first as husband and wife?" she said, smiling as she walked up to him.

"No, of course not. If you want us to be joined at the hip, that's okay with me."

He grinned at her and they went up to his flat together, hand in hand.

In the apartment, Alan went to a cupboard in his lounge and brought out an envelope. "You might as well have it now." he said, offering the envelope to Clare.  She took it and opened it up. She looked at Alan and then back at the two pieces of paper in her hands. "What is it?"

"Just read it Clare. It is what is says it is."

Clare read the paper. It was a medical certificate stating that 'Alan Harding' was in A1 condition. A special mention had been made about the condition of his heart. At the bottom of the two page certificate there were some suggestions on how he could remain fit by taking regular exercise and eating a balanced diet.

"I don't understand." said Clare. "Why...?" As she said the word she had a flash of inspiration. Alan loved her and wanted her to know that he wouldn't die of a heart attack, as Hal had done. She grabbed him and kissed him passionately and then removed his tie.

"What are you doing? We have a honeymoon to go to....." Alan said.

"We are on honeymoon." said Clare.

It took Alan all of two seconds to get her meaning and they made their way slowly to his bedroom, scattering clothing behind them as they went...

A red lace bra hung on the bedroom door handle. A lone grey sock dangled down from the bedroom lampshade (Alan was still wearing the other one, undetected so far). They lay haphazardly across his bed, as naked as the day that they were born; their hearts still pounding in their bodies. Alan lay on his back, smoking a pretend cigarette and Clare watched as the pretend smoke curled up towards the ceiling. She lay clinging to his side with her leg over his thigh and one hand on his chest.

Alan sighed. "I must say, Mrs Harding, it was well worth the wait."

Clare laughed. "I thought you were going to say 'that was nice.' I'm so glad you didn't – because I think I would have killed you!"

Alan laughed and turned towards Clare to cuddle her.

"But I have to say Mrs Harding, I do love your foibles."

"My foibles? What are you on about?"

"You said, Hal rather liked your foibles – and now I've seen them, I agree with him."

Alan laughed loudly and Clare giggled for ages until they felt it really was time to go to their honeymoon hotel.

* * * * * * * * * *