Chapter Eighty One

Clare was very excited. It was the Saturday after their wedding and she and Alan were going to Bath to visit Philip and Libby and meet the children, Daniela and Gheorghe. They had been so busy planning the wedding and extra busy at work, they hadn't found the time beforehand. They had bought them each a book, an item of clothing and some chocolate buttons.

It was a strange day. The weather couldn't quite make up it's mind what it wanted to do. One moment the sun was shining brightly and then the next it had disappeared and it had started to rain. Half an hour later it was bright sunshine again.

Alan pulled his BMW up on the driveway outside of Philip's house. Philip and Libby were standing in the doorway, anticipating their arrival. Philip came across to meet them and gave Clare a kiss and a hug.

"Hello Darling. Congratulations on the wedding."

"Thank you, Philip. It was something of a whirlwind."

Alan came around the car and slapped Philip on the back.

"Sorry we couldn't invite you bruv, but we're having a post-wedding party to make up for it."

"Sounds good to me." said Philip and he led them to Libby, who also greeted them warmly and then took them into the house.

In the lounge, in a playpen under the window, sat a beautiful little girl with very dark hair and dark eyes. She was wearing a pink sweatshirt with a small silver pony motif and a pair of blue leggings covered with white spots. On her feet were pretty pink trainers.

"This is Daniela." said Libby. She reached into the playpen and picked up the child, who immediately pushed herself away from Libby and struggled to get down. Libby set her on the floor.

"This is your Auntie Clare, Daniela. Say hello."

"Hello Daniela." said Clare, bending down to the child. "How nice to meet you. Aren't you pretty? Oh, look at your lovely shoes!"

Daniela walked across to a cot where her little brother, Gheorghe was sleeping. She pointed at him and said a word which they couldn't understand. Alan knelt down by her side and spoke to her.

"Hello Daniela, I'm uncle Alan. Is that your brother? He's fast asleep isn't he? Gosh, Libby," said Alan, looking up at her, "he's almost identical to Daniela."

"Yes, they're like peas in a pod."

Clare walked across and looked into the cot. The sight of the baby boy lying there made her feel emotional. She was very tempted to touch the child's lovely face, but she resisted.

"Oh, isn't he gorgeous? What lovely children they are." she said.

"How are you coping?" Alan asked Libby as he rose to his feet.

"Come and sit down and I'll fetch some drinks." said Libby. "We'll talk in a moment."

"Dink." said Daniela, her eyes wide with excitement.

"Yes, Daniela. You can have some juice. You'd like that wouldn't you?"

"Dink. Juse." said Daniela. She led Libby out of the room while Clare and Alan sat on the sofa opposite Philip, who sank down into a chair.

"That sounds promising." said Clare. "Daniela is picking up English already. How clever!"

"Yes. Bearing in mind what those two have been through we're surprised how well they've settled in." said Philip. "I suppose being together is a help for them both. They are having problems being cuddled or receiving affection, as they've never had it before. Sad isn't it? But we'll get there. Libby is determined. She's a rock."