Chapter Twenty One

A few weeks later, on the 15th January, Clare was in the office one morning when a telephone call came from the University. Clare answered the call.

"Can I speak to Mrs Porter, please?" a voice asked.

"I'm Mrs. Porter, who's speaking?"

"This is Jill, at the University. I'm sorry Mrs. Porter, but it's bad news I'm afraid. Your husband has been taken ill. We think he's had a heart attack. The ambulance is taking him to hospital right now."

Clare's heart flew to her mouth and an icy shiver shook her body. She asked where they were taking him and Jill told her. Clare replaced the receiver in a state of numb disbelief.

"What is it?" asked Angie.

"It's Hal, Angie. They say it's a heart attack. I need to get to the hospital."

Clare was deeply shocked. What? Hal, taken ill just like that? He was fit and well, he worked out at the Gym twice a week. It must be a mistake! The blood drained from her face and she began to panic. Bob was in that morning, so he kindly gave Clare and Angie a lift to the hospital. He seemed to be in a state of shock himself. Angie and Clare waited in the crowded Casualty Department. It wasn't easy waiting and they wondered what was going on.

"Don't worry Clare," said Angie "I'm sure he'll be all right."

"But we don't know that, do we?" said Clare "We don't know anything".

Angie looked scared, but she sat close to Clare and gave comfort, the best she could.

A nurse called, "Mrs. Porter?" and showed them both into a small room containing a desk and two chairs. "The Doctor will be with you in a moment." she said. They sat down on the chairs and waited. It was only a matter of seconds before a young male Doctor came into the room. "I'm sorry, Mrs Porter, there's no easy way to say this, but your husband died ten minutes ago. We tried to resuscitate him, but I'm afraid his heart wasn't strong enough."

Something twisted in Clare's gut. Angie burst out crying and she clung to Clare like a frightened child. Clare couldn't cry, but she started to shake and then became hysterical. It took some time for her to calm down. The Doctor gave her a sedative and made her lie down on a bed until it was safe for her to go home. Angie kindly stayed with Clare until her mother had left work and was able to take over.

It was an incredibly surreal experience. This wasn't happening to her, Clare thought, how could this possibly happen? But it had happened and there was nothing she could do. Hal was gone.

                                                                                            * * * * * * * *