Chapter Forty One

Angie and Matthew were spending Christmas in Antigua where members of Matthew's family still lived. His elderly grandmother was ill in hospital and his parents and siblings were anxious to pay a visit. As Clare would be alone she'd asked Alan if he would like to spend Christmas Day with her and the family. He had readily accepted. He was excited at the prospect of a more 'family' type of Christmas this year. Spending time with Clare, Kathy, Sandra and the children (and enjoying a home cooked Christmas dinner) was his idea of bliss. Clare was a good cook by all accounts. He'd only sampled her Banoffi pie so far and he wouldn't forget that in a hurry.

Alan had offered to help Clare with her Christmas preparations and they'd arranged to go shopping on Saturday afternoon, a week before Christmas. She was going to help him choose presents for the children. He had no-one else to buy presents for, only Philip and his wife Libby and they were boring. Knowing Clare was dreading Christmas, he was determined to make it as happy for her as possible. He'd already bought a large bottle of her favourite perfume and a box of her favourite chocolates.

After parking and locking his gleaming black BMW, he walked up the path to Clare's front door. She answered the door looking as lovely as ever, but very down-in-the-mouth. His heart went out to her.

"Sorry I'm late," he said, stepping over the threshold, "but the roads are busy today."

"I'm not surprised, it is Christmas after all." said Clare closing the door after him and leading the way into the lounge. He could tell, just by looking at her, that she was in no mood for shopping.

Silver and gold bells were draped here and there and Christmas cards were hanging along two walls. Several attractive red decorations dangled down from the high ceiling. There was a large wicker basket full of gold coloured pine cones on the hearth and other decorations artistically arranged on small tables, together with two beautiful red Poinsettia plants.

"Did Angie and Matthew get off all right?" he asked.

"Yes, their flight was due to go out on time. She rang me from Heathrow last night."

"How exciting!"

"Yes." Clare replied.

"You've been busy, the house looks very festive." said Alan.

Clare sighed heavily.

"What's wrong?" asked Alan sitting down on the sofa.

"This tree...I don't want to bother with it." said Clare pointing to a large box on the floor.

"Then don't." said Alan "Where did you get it from?"

"The loft."

"Right then, back it goes."

"But I can't, the children are coming." said Clare, reluctantly.

"Think of yourself for once, forget the tree." said Alan.

Clare frowned.

"While we're out shopping, we could buy a fibre optic tree, it would only take five more minutes and this thing could go back into the loft. That way it would please everybody. I've got a fibre optic tree, it looks nice in the evening when the lights are low." said Alan. "A bit like you Clare," he added, grinning broadly. "I bet you look nice in the evening when the lights are low."

"That's a back handed compliment if ever I heard one," she replied "but that's a good idea, I think I will buy a fibre optic tree."

Alan took the artificial tree safely back to the loft and shortly afterwards they were on their way to the shops in his BMW. As he'd mentioned, the roads were busy and it was difficult to find a parking space, but a car pulled out of a large space just as they were passing and he pulled in quickly. It was a space on a parking meter, allowing them two hours.