Chapter Twenty-Eight: Life and Death

Slowly, I opened my eyes.. Wait.. I did? Well, yeah I guess but I'm not quite sure. Everything was white and I thought I'd gone blind. Then I remembered what happened. The graveyard, the pain, Voldemort and ALAS! The killing curse. I was dead. But surprisingly, I wasn't sad or angry. I felt..Happy. I knew I died in a noble cause. I died protecting those I love. I wondered what happened to Cedric and Harry.

I walked further ahead and noticed that I was wearing a white dress that falls up to my knees.  I was walking barefoot but the heat from the sun isn't painful. Or was it the sun? That moment I can no longer distinguish what's what. Then I saw two pairs of wide open arms, as if beckoning me to come closer. At first I thought it was Cedric and Harry but as the distance between me and them shortened, I realized it was not them. It was a fair woman and a tall man with jet black, untidy hair. They were both beaming at me and there were something in their smiles that seems familiar. Then it hit me.

"Welcome, Hermione. We're very glad to finally meet you." Mr. Potter said.

"Erm..uhh" I was lost for words. I was seeing Harry's parents. DEAD parents. And that could only mean one thing. 

"There's no need for small talk, dear. Come join us." Mrs. Potter invited. 

As the three of us walked together across the wide, white, open space, I finally gathered the courage to speak. "So.. Am I...dead?"

Mr. Potter chuckled, which reminds me of Harry, and said "We will come to that, Hermione. For now, aren't you wondering what happened last night?"

"I do." I answered meekly.

"Then, if that's the case, we will show you." Both of them said, gesturing at a small well that I haven't noticed. I walked up to it and looked in. It was like watching a movie..

As the blast of green light hit me, I saw a flash of white barrier-like substance envelop me and the boys. There was a surprised expression on Voldemort's face as the killing curse rebounded to him and his minions. They slowly crumpled to dust and were blown away by the wind.

"Nooooo!!!" The Dark Lord screamed before he ended up like the death eaters.

Both Cedric and Harry were thrown away by the impact as well as me. I watched as my tattered body flew and landed a few meters ahead with blood trickling from my forehead. The boys lay motionless for a few minutes before finally crawling towards my limp body.

"She's gone." Cedric declared.

"No..No this isn't true.." Harry said, refusing to believe before bringing 'me' close to him. He buried his face on my shoulder and cried. 

Cedric put an arm around his shoulder and comforted him but to no avail. He himself looked in distress and he failed to hide it. A few minutes later, he said "Let's go. We will bring her body back."

Refusing to let go of 'me' Harry ordered "Cedric grab her hand." After Cedric did so, Harry summoned the Portkey and the three of us were gone.

I backed away from the well and turned to the Potters. "So.. Am I really dead?"

"Dear, I don't think so. No." Mrs. Potter told me.

"B-but.." I started.

"Do you want to live or not?" Mr. Potter asked firmly.

"O-of course I do."

"Then you should live the life you deserve, Hermione. You've spent almost every single day helping our son out of his troubles and trying to keep him alive. We are eternally grateful to you. So now, you really are worthy to live a good life.." Mr. Potter said.