Chapter Nineteen: Rush

For the next few days, I decided to isolate myself from the others. Especially from Cedric and Harry. I need to focus. The next task is in two days time and I still have no idea on what the clue was. But I couldn't just walk in front of Harry and ask, could I? Of course I can! But I just don't want to. So, I spent a day in the library, researching for spells that can be used in any possible situation. Then I go on with my classes, grab some food, and then head to the library again.

After Transfiguration, as I walk towards the library, I heard someone call out my name. My eyes widen and I walked faster. Then he caught up with me.

"Hermione wait!" Harry said, panting. 

I turned around and kept a neutral face "Yeah?"

"Please help me Hermione! The task is in 2 days and I haven't got anything yet!"

"What?! You mean really nothing?! Harry! What are you planning? Suicide?!"

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry. Things were just pretty rough these past few days and I haven't got time to think about the task."

"Oh? What are we waiting for, let's go!" I said firmly, dragging him to the library.

~~~~~~~~""""~~~~~~~~

"So, what did the clue say again?" I asked Harry.

We were at the library, surrounded by piles of old and dusty books. We’ve spent about an hour rummaging for spells and charms that can help him in the upcoming second task.

"Come seek us where our voices sound,

We cannot sing above the ground,

And while you're searching, ponder this;

We've taken what you'll sorely miss,

An hour long you'll have to look,

And recover what we took,

But past an hour - the prospect's black,

Too late, it's gone, it won't come back." Harry recited.

I thought long and hard, analyzing the code. "Hmm... well, according to this, you must find a way to be able to breathe underwater for about an hour..To recover something that you'll 'sorely miss'.. There. That’s just it."

"That's it?" Harry asked "Well, I've encountered a handful of charms that might work."

"But Harry! The task is in two days. Do you think you can master it in such limited time?" 

"So what are you trying to imply?"

"What I'm saying is that, I'm sure we'll find something. A potion maybe? Or anything that you don't need to study anymore. Just work on your defense spells and I'll come up with something."

"Yeah, you're right. But do you think I can do this? Isn't this really suicide?"

I reached over and squeezed his hand "Don't worry. It will get better." then I quickly took back my hand and declared "Oh look at the time! I believe we have classes to attend. Come on." I quickly gathered my things and returned the books to their places before speeding out.

~~~~~~~~~~""""""~~~~~~~~~~~

The cycle was repeated the next day, and Harry was losing more and more hope. The night before the task, we still have nothing planned and I, myself was getting tired. But the possibility of Harry getting killed or anything kept me awake. Suddenly...

"Hermione.." Harry said.

I looked up from the book I was scanning and answered "Yeah?"

"I..I'm sorry for dragging you into this. I never really wanted to bother you with this burden.. Of keeping me alive and such. But really, we're fighting a losing battle. It's over. I'm doomed. We can never come up with something. We only have less than 24 hours to figure things out and it's not enough. Thanks for everything but really, I'm done for." He said before picking up his things and leaving.

I heaved a sigh and thought for a moment. He was right. We have less than 24 hours left and we have nothing. The library was empty except for me and I don't know what to do anymore that I threw a book across the floor which flew open. Surprised at myself, I picked it up and sat back again, staring blankly at a page. Unconsciously, my eyes drifted to a photo of what looked like a bundle of slimy, grey-green rat tails. I read the caption lazily. 

"Gillyweed: is a magical plant native to the Mediterranean Sea. When it is eaten by a witch or wizard, one grows gills and webbing between the fingers and the toes...." 

I sat up quickly, suddenly awake. My eyes widened and a huge grin spread upon my face, I continued to read out loud. "'There is some debate among Herbologists as to the duration of the effects of Gillyweed on fresh water versus salt water, but the effects of the plant in fresh water seems to last for about an hour!' Oh Merlin's beard! This is Brilliant! Gillyweed's the perfect solution! B-But where to find it?"

I went to the greenhouses and searched for Professor Pomona sprout but she's nowhere to be seen. I sneaked around and saw an open window, I poked my head inside and lucky me! I saw a shelf full of Gillyweed and some other plants I've never seen before. Smiling, I took out my wand and muttered "Accio Gillyweed!"

But I guess I'm not that lucky because I didn't know that the others were tangled with it that's why when I summoned it, the others came along, causing some of the pots and jars to come crashing down. My eyes widened as I heard a voice "Who's there?!"

I quickly ducked behind a stack of crates, hoping I wouldn't get caught. I watched as a figure emerged from the shadows, holding a wand up high.

"Merlin's Beard!." I whispered to myself. 

Professor Sprout unlocked the door of the greenhouse I tried to sneak into. "Alohomora!" I heard a shriek from the inside when she entered.

Guiltily, I walked in and whispered "Professor?" 

She looked up, fuming mad "Ms. Granger! What are you doing out of bed at this hour? And have you seen who tried to steal my plants?! Have you?!"

I was so scared that I might get expelled because of my attempted thieving that I burst into tears. Professor seemed surprised and a little bit shocked. I can see she was no longer mad as she patted my back "Are you alright dear? What's wrong?"

"Professor, I-I'm so so sorry.. I-I tried to take some G-Gillyweed. I was looking for you to ask permission b-but I couldn't find you. So I decided to take some without y-your consent. I'm very sorry Professor. Please don't let me get expelled. I'd do detention for you! E-even for a whole month, or even the remaining year but please professor I don't want to get expelled." I pleaded.

I was pretty surprised when she gave a hearty laugh. "Oh? Ms. Granger. I'm surprised you could do such a thing. But what matters is that you can admit your mistakes. I forgive you. Don't worry; I wouldn't punish you with expulsion and detention. Just help me clean up and you're free to go."

I cried tears of joy as I hugged her "Oh thank you! Thank you so much!!" Then I pulled away sheepishly "I'm sorry ma'am I was just.."

She laughed again and gave me a quick hug "It's okay. Let's get started, Hermione."

We cleaned up and put everything in order. When we finished, Professor said "Ms. Granger, if you don't mind me asking, what are you gonna do with the Gillyweed?"

"Uhmm.. Well, I was going to give it to a friend.. He's going to need it for tomorrow's task."

"Ahh! Potter. I couldn't take it if he dies tomorrow just because I didn't share my gillyweeds so okay then, take some" She said, handing me a bunch.

"Thank you ma'am!! This is wonderful! Really." I exclaimed.

"No worries. So, you've got all you need?" She asked which I answered with a nod.

"Then head to bed dear. You're going to need it. G'Night." 

I smiled and gave her a last hug before heading back to the girls' dormitory in which I quickly fell asleep after changing to my pj's and lying down on bed.