Chapter Thirteen: Hanging out with the Badgers

“Maybe this is a bad idea…” I thought as I stood there outside the Hufflepuff’s common room. I already went to see Viktor at the quidditch field trying to figure his egg out. And Fleur near the lake, trying to get the clue from her egg also. Both of their egg reacts the same as Harry’s.

“I’m sure this is the Hufflepuff’s common room” I thought. “But how do I get in? Or how can I make him get out?”

Impatiently, I drummed my fingers on one of the many barrels that somehow blocked the entrance. I was about to leave when a huge barrel’s lid burst out from the stack and sprayed its contents at me. I let out a shriek when it completely soaked me wet. I wrinkled my nose at the odd smell before realizing its vinegar.

“Ugh! Merlin’s beard!” I shouted.

I guess it was a wrong move because one by one, Hufflepuff students came out from a barrel I didn’t notice before. They looked at me with confused faces before bursting out laughing.

“I see someone wants to force enter our little room!” Roger Davies, a Hufflepuff, said.

My face grew bright red. “Uhh I-I’m sorry,, I was just wondering if..” realizing how pathetic I sound, I just shrugged  “Nevermind.” “Whoa whoa whoa! What’s all the commotion about?” A voice said among the crowd. I turned to see Cedric squeezing in between the other students who are watching my embarrassing moment.

“A lion went out of her den to search for a..” Zacharias Smith cleared his throat “Champion badger, I presume?”

Cedric smirked as he called out “Hey Granger! Hang on a second!”

I turned to face him, while trying to shrug the droplets of vinegar off me. “What?! You’re gonna have a go on me too?! Fine, laugh all you want!”

I started to leave but then he grabbed my arm “Hey, I’m not going to have a go on you” He said in between chuckles. “Anyway, you’re looking for me?”

“No I’m not!” I said, trying not to sound too defensive.

He raised an eyebrow as he asked “Then what are you doing here?”

“I was just.. uhh.. I..” I stammered “Nothing.” I finished, crossing my arms over my chest.

“You don’t sound so sure..” He said then like as if he just noticed, he looked at me from head to foot “Oh..” He stifled a laugh before continuing “well, I won’t sound so sure too if I’m doused with vinegar.”

I felt heat rising into my head. He is seriously saying that?! So much for a gentleman I’ve always heard off. I rolled my eyes before saying “Wow. Not having a go with me, don’t you?”

He laughed again and took a hold of my hand “Look, come inside and change.”

My eyes widened “No WAY!”

He shrugged “Oh well, if you want to walk around the corridors smelling like you just stepped out of a salad dressing, then suit yourself.”

Cedric turned to go back inside their common room when I called out “Oh fine! But only because I don’t want to be laughed at.”

He gave a smile “I thought you’d come around.” He gestured towards the huge barrel where the Hufflepuffs came out “Ladies first.”

I dropped on all fours and crawled inside.

Their common room was lovely! It was sunny, warm and comfy. There was a portrait of Helga Hufflepuff hanging at the middle of the room where, beneath it, a large, honey colored, wooden mantelpiece with carvings of badgers on it can be found.“Well, welcome to the badgers’ common room!” Cedric said in a cheerful tone.