Chapter Eight: The Four Champions

The next day, everyone woke up early, excited for the news. The time has come. Later today, the champions for each school will be announced.

"Aren't you excited, Ron?" Harry asked his friend while the three of us were walking towards the Great Hall.

Ron shrugged and said "I am. But not much."

I looked at him with concern "Ron, is everything alright between you and Lavender now? You seem...depressed."

He shook his head "She won't listen to me..She keeps on saying that I cheated on her."

I could see Harry trying not to laugh. "Well, now Mate, I guess you're the one who have a girl problem. Want me to help you out?"

Ron's face brightened "Really?! You will?"

Harry nodded "Of Course. And don't worry. It won't end up like mine."

We all laughed as we took our seats.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"""""~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A few minutes later, Professor Dumbledore entered with the other teachers and staff. The students from other schools filed up inside also.

"The time has come." Professor Dumbledore started "For us to know who were chosen as the Champions. Brace yourself everyone." 

He walked towards the Goblet of Fire and everyone held their breaths. The Blue flames turned red and a piece of parchment comes out. Dumbledore looked at it for a few seconds before turning to back to everyone. "And the first Champion, For the Durmstrang Institute...... Viktor Krum!"

Everyone applauded and there were cheers from the Durmstrang students. Krum walked forward and got his piece of parchment from the Professor. Viktor passed by the three of us and I exchanged smiles with him, which surprisingly, Harry doesn't seem so happy about.  When everyone was settled, the fire turned red again and another name came up. "The Champion from Beauxbatons is............. Fleur Delacour!" 

There were a round of applause and cheers came from the Beauxbatons girls when Fleur stood up to retrieve her parchment. She smiled at the three of us before standing beside Viktor. Once again, the fire turned red and another piece of parchment came out. Dumbledore smiled as he read "And the Hogwarts champion is..................... Cedric Diggory!" 

Everyone clapped their hands together. I smiled a little to myself remembering my conversation with him during detention. I looked up and saw him exchanging hugs with his Hufflepuff friends. He smiled brightly as he retrieves his parchment from Dumbledore. I dunno why but I kinda expected him to look at me but he didn't. Maybe he was too happy to even remember. I shrugged the thought off and kept it to myself. 

Dumbledore spoke in an authoritative voice "Excellent! We now have out three champions! But in the end, only one will be written in history. Only one can have the chalice of the champions, the vessel of victory, the TRIWIZARD CUP!" 

Everybody began cheering again but something unexpected happen. The blue flames turned to red once again and another name came out. A bit surprised, Professor took it and said to himself "Harry Potter." Then with a loud voice, "Harry Potter!!" 

There was an eerie silence which was broken as Gryffindor students clapped and stood up one by one.. They were followed by the others who, although surprised, were still happy for Harry. I was the only one who remained seated. I stared at Harry and asked "You put your name in?!"

"Of course not! Hermione, believe me, I didn't.." Harry said, his face ashen.

This is impossible. Harry couldn't join this tournament! He'll be killed! I shook my head and told Harry to go forward and he obliged.

"Well, I guess history repeats itself. Decades ago, this exact thing happened. A school had two champions to compete." He cautiously looked towards the Durmstrang students and at Igor Karkaroff who was frowning. "It had been decided that since the Goblet has chosen. It is final. Harry Potter would be competing and Hogwarts will have two champions." 

I couldn't believe that it's actually happening! Harry should not enter this tournament! But what could I do? It's final. Harry would get killed if he's not ready. And that's when I decided, I'm going to help Harry through it all no matter what. The Champions and the headmasters went inside a room and everyone left the Great Hall, still excited about the happenings.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"""""~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Hey Hermione. Do you really believe that Harry didn't put his name in?" Ron asked me.

We were inside the Gryffindor common room which was buzzing about Harry. I shook my head at Ron and answered "Of Course! If he says so, it is true. He won't lie to us. Plus, he's underage!! He can't possible gotten past the age line."

Ron though for a minute and said "What if he asked an older student to do it for him. Yeah. Maybe that's it."

I hit Ron with a nearby pillow and said "Would you stop thinking like that Ron. Harry didn't join this tournament!" 

"Alright, alright. Geez Hermione. Being overprotective, aren't you."

I started to hit him with the pillow again when suddenly; all the people became quiet as Harry entered through the portrait hole. "What?!" He said innocently to all of us.

Then everyone began hugging him and congratulating him. Even Ron! But I sat there on the couch, waiting for all of these to be over. When Harry finally managed to get out of the tangle of arms, he sat beside me with a silly grin on his face "Wotcher Hermione!"

"Oh, you're chosen as a champion and you're happy."

"Not really happy. A bit surprised but plenty worried. I mean, I honestly didn't put my name in. I didn't know who." 

"That's exactly my point Harry!!  You've almost been killed a lot of times! Wh-what if.." I couldn't take to finish my sentence.

Harry sighed and said "You're right Hermione. But, we can't do anything about it, can we?"

"You need to get ready Harry. "

He nodded and said "Yeah. And you guys will help me won't you?"

I smiled and answered "Of course I'll help you." Then suddenly, my conversation with Cedric came rushing back to me.. I told him I'll help him with this competition but..What about Harry? Nevermind, I'll help them both.

"Thank you Hermione." Harry said gratefully. 

"No problem." I replied although deep inside, I know there is a big problem that is brewing.