Chapter Fourteen: The Invitation

The next morning, I walked with Harry and Ron towards the great hall to grab some breakfast. On our way there, Ron started THAT awkward conversation.

 "Hey! The ball's coming up.. have you-" Ron started.

 Before he can finish, I interrupted him in mid sentence "Excuse me? What Ball?"

 Perching his arm on my shoulder, Ron answered "Hermione Hermione..See? It's time to get your head out of your books. The Yule Ball's coming and you still have no idea about it!"

 "Oh.. yeah... The Yule Ball." I said before shaking my head "Never mind that. Who says I'm going anyway?" Then I walked ahead of them.

 I have only gotten a few steps away when I heard both of them ask in perfect unison "What?!! No Way!"

 I turned around to face them and said "Yes Way. You know I've never been interested in that since the beginning. So, no. I'm NOT going"

 "But it's going to be so much fun!" Ron protested.

 "Then go. But I won't.." I shrugged.

 "Ugh! Talk to her out of that, will you?" Ron told Harry before stomping away.

 "Why is he so...affected?" I asked. "I mean, I didn't tell him not to go, did I?"

 "Because Hermione, I..We.. Want you to be there. It's like a once in a lifetime opportunity to be part of the Yule Ball. We don't want you to miss it." Harry explained.

 I can't help but laugh at both of them "I don't care. Really. Chill Harry! It's not like I'm gonna die or something if I don't go."

 But he looked serious. He grabbed both of my hands and stared at me straight to the eye "Hermione, please.. Go.."

 ~Okay?? Now THIS is awkward~

 I yanked my hands away and turned around so he couldn't see my embarrassed expression. When I was sure I'm okay, I faced him again "Okay. I'll think about it. But no promises. Besides, I don't have anything to wear."

 "I'm sure Ginny and Lav will drag you into one of their shopping sprees. So, you don't need to worry 'bout that.." He explained.

 The truth was, the dress is not what I'm worried about.

 "It's just that.. I.. " I took a deep breath before finishing " I don't have anyone to go with." then a silence ensued so of course, I felt obliged to fill it with whatever I could think of. "Not, that I want to go with someone and not that I care about having a date or-"

 "Hermione.." Harry said in a firm voice which made my heart leap "Will you go-"

 "Hey Granger!!"

 Both of us turned towards the voice, I was surprised to see Cedric with a nervous grin on his face..

 "Oh, Hi Cedric" I said, giving a little smile.

 "Uhmm.. Potter, can I have a word with you?" He said, running his fingers through his hair.

 "About what, Diggory?" Harry asked, doubtfully.

 Cedric was shifting from one foot to another now. "Uhmm..Something private.." He said, glancing towards me.

 "Oh.. I-I, I'll just see you at the Hall, Harry." I said, waving before I headed to the Great Hall.

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"""""""""~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 The day passed by uneventfully except for Harry's sudden cold treatment. I tried to talk to him the whole day but he just shrugs off my questions. I don't know what exactly but I'm sure it has something to do with his conversation with Cedric. I wanted to ask him what happened but I bet he wouldn't spill the beans. So, I just decided to drop the subject. Still, I felt uneasy because there's something I don't know. That's me. I won't stop until I learn what it is.

That night, I grabbed my coat and headed towards the school grounds. It was past midnight and I know I'm getting into so much trouble if I get caught. But nevertheless, I went to clear my mind. But when I reached the Willow tree I always stay at, I was surprised to see him.

At first, I thought I was just hallucinating because of stress but the way his hair moved through the easy breeze, and the way he sits up so casually yet so confident, I just KNEW it was him.

"Merlin's beard! What are you doing here, Diggory?" I said in a low whisper.

Looking up, he flashed me an unsure smile. Very unlikely of him.

"Hey Granger!" He said not answering my question.

"I said what are you doing here?" I repeated.

"What are YOU doing here?" He asked back.

I heaved a sigh, knowing I was defeated. "Clearing my mind. Now what about you?"

"Well, actually I.." He started "I knew you're coming"

"Oh yeah, you asked Harry. Anyway, what do you want? You know you just could have asked me during the day so you wouldn't have to stay up late." I said.

"Would you like to sit down first? It's still a long night." He offered.

"Yes it is. But who told you I intend on staying here all night?" I said, still standing up.

"No one, I just..thought." He said simply.

"Oh fine." I exclaimed, sitting down beside him. "Now would you tell me what you need?"

"Hermione, I-" He started but I cut him off.

"Wait a minute. Before that, could you please explain what you and Harry talked about? Please?"

"Hermione, its boy matters. Whatever we talked about is just between us." He said firmly.

"But Cedric, I know it has something to do with me!" I told him, trying not to raise my voice.

Like trying to ignore my statement, he stood up. "Hermione Granger." He said, offering his hand "Will you go to the Yule ball with me?”