Chapter Fifteen: Hot Issue

His question hit me hard. It weighed me down so much that I turned pale. I didn't know what I should say. My thoughts drifted off to different things at the same time: Ron, Harry, The ball, Cedric, going alone, and more. The moment I felt I was ready to black out, Cedric spoke.

"So, I guess that's your answer." He said glumly.

"But I haven't said anything!" I protested.

"Hermione.." He started. "You don't need to go with me if you don't want to."

"It's not that.. It's just.. I'm not planning to go, Cedric." I lied.

"I know you're not. But I was hoping that you will, since if you say yes to me, you won't have to go alone." Cedric explained.

I don't know why but I felt guilty. I know I want to come to the ball but there's just something wrong which I couldn't put my finger on. 

~Maybe I'm just desperate to go with someone.~

Shaking his head, Cedric stood up and muttered "I shouldn't have asked you in the first place. I've always known what you'll say."

"I highly doubt that Mr. Diggory." I said.

He gave me a puzzled look which I returned in form of a smile. As I stood up, I said "Yes. I'll go to the Yule Ball with you."

Cedric face brightened. He scooped me up and twirled me around. I can see he's very happy. I just don't know if I am too.

"Are you sure? I mean you don't have to, if you don't want" He asked.

I raised an eyebrow and asked back "Are you trying to make me back out? Because if that's the case, you're failing. I WILL go to the ball with you. Unless you ditch me, that is."

"I'll never do that. Swear." He promised.

"Fine. I believe you" I laughed. "But promise me another thing, Cedric."

"What is it?"

"Don't tell anyone about it yet, okay?" I said, looking on the ground.

"Promise. I won't." He said, grinning.

~~~~~~~""""~~~~~~~~~

The next day, I woke up with a light head. I don't know what time I fell asleep except that it was very very late. I kept thinking on what happened last night. I took a quick shower and changed into my robes before going down the common room.

As I descended the stairs, I could see everyone in a tight circle. Being naturally curious, I asked aloud "What's all the commotion about?!"

Everyone turned their heads and they looked like they saw a ghost. As they moved out of the way, I found Ron and Harry sitting on the couch, their eyes glued on the Daily Prophet.

"What's going on?" I asked again.

I got the same reaction from my friends except that they stood up and tried to hide the paper. 

"N-nothing Hermione." Ron lied.

I turned and gave Harry a questioning look but he averted it and went out of the portrait hole without saying a word. Everybody stared after him before returning their eyes on me.

"Ron, she'll see it sooner or later. Let her know, now." Ginny said.

Nervously, Ron handed me the paper and braced himself for what is about to happen.

I took the Prophet from him and sat down the couch, feeling everyone's eyes on me. I read the article they were looking at, silently and my eyes widened to the size of galleons. 

LITTLE WITCH'S GOT THE CHAMPIONS ON HER HANDS

by Rita Skeeter

My, oh my, what do we have here? When everyone's buzzing about the Triwizard tournament, Little Miss Hermione Jean Granger has been busy "hanging out" with our Champions. According to one of our reliable sources, It is said that miss Granger has been seen spending her time around our Triwizard Champions especially Mr. Cedric Diggory, Mr. Viktor Krum and her so-called "best friend" Mr. Harry Potter.

Miss Granger is known at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry for her wits and knowledge but, is it possible that she has been abandoning her studies because of the said gentlemen? Not a few days ago, she was seen having a serious talk with her History of Magic professor because she was "losing attention" in her class.

Our little missy was also being seen less and less in the library and more and more at the corridors and the school grounds "talking" with Mr. Diggory. What's the real deal between them? A couple or just "friends"? But the latter's quite unrealistic because they were seen together last night under a tree having a conversation. And as of what we heard, Mr. Diggory is asking her out to the nearing Yule Ball. And surprise surprise, she said Yes!

But how about the other two? Our sources say that Mr. Potter and Ms. Granger have been experiencing petty fights, or should we say "lover's quarrels", more often lately. The reason behind it? No other than the Golden boy himself! Mr. Diggory. But really, we didn't know Mr. Potter's the Overprotective "best friend". According to their fellow schoolmates, they have been friends for four years now, along with a certain Mr. Ronald Weasley (another BOY, mind you). Directly quoting one of the Hogwarts students, "The three of them are inseparable! They go everywhere together! Well not really Always and everywhere but most of the time. Especially Harry and Hermione. If I don't personally know them, I suspect they're a couple."

As for, Mr. Krum. Oh our poor guy. It is said that he's been fancying Ms. Granger for a while now, but it can be inferred that our Miss Gryffindor can only entertain him with "plain flirting."

So that's it my avid readers! And For Miss Granger, We'd LOVE to hear your side. What is your say? Feel free to approach us for your interview. We'll be keeping an eye and ear out for more news and updates; this is Rita Skeeter signing for the Daily Prophet. 

"WHAT?!!?!?!"  I shouted, throwing the paper into the fire. "What the Bloody hell is all that about!"

"He-Hermione calm down." Ron said a tinge of nervousness on his voice.

"UGH! She'll do anything just for a story!" I was practically steaming mad as I watched my photo in the paper slowly being engulfed by flames.

"That's why we didn't want you to see, Hermione. We don't want you to be upset over this...this rubbish." Ron explained.

"I'm not upset Ronald. I just can't believe someone's that low!" I shook my head, unbelievably "Anyway, I don't care what she says, anymore. Let her be."

"But H-Hermione! She'll ruin your reputation! You need to give her that interview she wants." Ron protested.

"No I won't. That's what she'll like and I won't be giving her satisfaction. She wants me to go out there sounding defensive of everything. So NO. She won't get MY interview." I said firmly.

"Yeah.. You’re right" He told me before turning to the Gryffindor’s "Hear that everyone?! All that we have read is NOT true! I believe in her. Do you guys? Do you?!!"

I was quite surprised when everyone nodded their heads and some even cheered. I can't help but smile as I say "Thank you everyone. But right now, I need some air." . Then, I exited through the portrait hole, glaring at the Fat lady who I'm sure is one of the sources of that Skeeter's nasty news.