Chapter Nine: Bonding with the boys

We just finished Care of Magical creatures. It was horrible but I don't have the guts to tell Hagrid that. At first, everything was working out perfectly but not until a Slytherin girl screamed when a Hanteak crawled on her arm.

Hanteaks are like giant ants with hundreds of eyes. One weird thing about them is that they're actually blind. They use their eyes to smell, hear and sense their surroundings. They are quick to strike so we had to keep quiet because when they hear or sense sudden movements, they attack.

Hanteaks are not THAT dangerous. When they bite, they leave itchiness that would be followed by reddening of the skin. Unfortunately, the Slytherin girl was brought to the hospital wing because of apple-red blotches all over her. The Hanteak was almost ready to strike another Slytherin but Hagrid threw a bucket of cold water over it so it immediately fell asleep. Water makes Hanteaks drowsy.

After the last Hanteak was placed at the proper crate, everyone headed for the castle except for me, Harry, and Ron. Hagrid asked us to stay behind for a while.

"They aren't scary ya know?" Hagrid said eyeing one Hanteak trying to escape. "They only need love and care"

The three of us glanced at each other but kept quiet.

"Eh, enough of this nonsense. Ron, go inside meh hut. Someone wants to see yer. And Harry, I 'ave a little surprise for yer tonight." Hagrid told us.

I was a bit curious "It's about the tournament isn't it?"

Hagrid gave a smile "Ye'll know later."

Harry and I waved at him and started for the castle.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"""""~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As Harry and I walked together, we saw Luna sitting under the tree, a few meters away, reading The Quibbler. While we walked towards her, Harry said "I don't know how she can read upside down."

I laughed and told him "Me too! But she's been doing that for years so maybe she got the hang of it already."

"Yeah. She's really smart."

"No wonder she's in Ravenclaw." I shrugged.

He looked at me sideways and said "But she could be in Gryffindor too. Brave and Courageous. Even though she gets teased all the time, she doesn't let it get her."

I smiled a little thinking about Luna being in Gryffindor but it was replaced by surprise when Harry added "And she's pretty too. Lovely hair. And skin.” 

It’s not that I don’t consider Luna as pretty. It’s just that Harry doesn’t pay too much attention on girls especially on their hair and skin. But before I could respond, Luna stood up and jogged towards us.

“Hello Hermione. And Harry.” She greeted.

Harry smiled and greeted back. I did too.

“Uhmm Harry, could we talk for a few minutes? I need to ask you something” Luna said glancing nervously towards me.

Realizing they want to talk in private, I nodded and turned to leave. Before I could go, Harry called me and said “I’ll see you later in the common room!”

I nodded once more and walked away. I was strolling around the castle grounds when I saw Cedric approaching. He stopped right in front of me.

“Granger. Whatever happens, don’t help me in this tournament.”

Surprised, I asked “Why? I promised you I would.”

 “No.” He shook his head before continuing. “You didn’t promise me anything. You just said you’ll try. Besides, Potter’s here too. He’ll need your help. You’re his best friend anyway.”

 As he turned to leave, I ran up in front of him and said “It’s about last time isn’t it?”

He looked away not saying anything. 

“Look Cedric, I’m sorry to say this but I just don’t know why you’re acting this way. Harry’s my friend and you almost jinxed him. It’s natural that I stand up for him.” I told him, arms crossed.

He sighed “But you’re there! You saw he tried to hex me first!” He shook his head and said “Why do I even bother. What happened last time, I have already moved on. You should too. Forget about everything. We’ll just be simple acquaintances. Nothing more. I hope it is clear with you, Granger”