Chapter Ten: Dragons

I looked up the tall grandfather clock. 11:45. It's almost time. 

I silently crept towards the couch and shook Harry. "Harry.." I said in a low whisper "Wake up."

He slowly sat up and blinked his eyes a few times "Is it time already?"

"Almost. You better get up." 

He fumbled for his glasses and stood up. "Okay, I'll be right back." 

I watched him ascend the stairs leading to the boys’ dormitory and waited patiently. A few minutes passed and Harry hasn't arrived yet. I started to worry.

"Maybe there's something wrong." I thought. 

I was already heading towards the stairs when Harry came into view.

"What took you so long?" I hissed.

"Almost got caught. Dean stirred a bit and trapped me between the closet and his feet." He explained. "And as when I'm about to go down, Neville woke up a little and I was forced to stay back for a while."

"Oh." I exclaimed. "Nevermind that. We should get going." 

He nodded and I followed him out. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the disapproving look on the fat lady's face. I shrugged it off and continued to follow Harry towards Hagrid's hut.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~"""" ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Harry, any idea on the surprise?" I asked.

Harry thought for a moment before answering "I reckon it has something to do with the tournament. And Ron said it won't be very pretty."

"Maybe.. Don't you think Hagrid will show us the first task?"

"Yeah. Possibly." He said simply. 

As Hagrid's hut came into view, we heard silent voices. Harry and I looked at each other and nodded in agreement. Hidden under the invisibility cloak, we walked carefully to the sounds of the voices. We were both surprised to see our friend Hagrid talking with the Beauxbatons' headmistress, Madame Maxime.

" 'Agrid, Are you sure this will be the first task?" The lady said.

Hagrid grinned, casually combing his fingers through his hair "Of course. I 'ave been trusted this, considering I am the school's Care of Magical Creatures Professor, ye know?"

She nodded slowly and walked a few steps. That's when we saw a giant winged beast breathing fire. 

"A Dragon." I whispered.

"I can see that." Harry gulped.

"Are these creatures dangerous? I'd never want my student to be killed." Madame Olympe asked

Hagrid shook his big head and answered "Dragons, like spiders, are misunderstood creatures. They are gentle, if yer kind to them." 

I backed away slowly and accidentally snapped a twig. Hagrid and Maxime turned their heads towards us.

"Ehem." Hagrid cleared his throat. "It's pretty late. Ya should get going."

"You are absolutely right. I'm even imagining things. G'night, Hagrid." Madame Maxime said. 

Harry and I looked at each other with eyebrow raised when we saw Madame Olympe plant a kiss on our big friend. I tried my best not to laugh. Thankfully, my mind still worked properly and I was able to control myself. 

After the lady disappeared into the castle, Hagrid called out "’Ermione, 'Arry, you can come out now."

Harry took off the cloak from us and we burst out laughing. Hagrid's cheeks grew red but his tone was serious.

" 'Arry, come h're boy. You see that?" 

Harry nodded "Of course."

"As what ya have heard a while ago, that is yer first task. Face a Dragon." 

"You serious? Then what do we do?" Harry gulped.

Hagrid gave out a hearty laugh "Meh, I don't wanna ruin the surprise for you. And ya should find out sooner or later. You just be ready. And don't ya tell anyone I told ya this. Or I'm doomed. And just in case ya wanna know, Charlie Weasley dropped by to say hello and to deliver these Fiery Creatures."

"Oh, I see..Don't worry Hagrid, we'll keep quiet." I said but I can't help but ask "But what about the other champions? It's just fair that they know too."

Harry shot me a glare "Talking about Diggory aren't you? And Krum!"

I glared back "No I'm not. I just think it’s the right thing to do."

"Woah woah woah.. Yer heads are hotter than a Hungry Hungarian Horntail's breath.. Is there something yer not telling me, Hermione?" Hagrid said.

I shook my head defensively "Of course not. Harry's just making a fuss out of it."

"Am Not!"

"Is to!"

"Hey! Hold your Hippogriffs. No fighting." Hagrid said getting in between us. "Both of ya are tired. Get some rest. Oh, and I reckon Hermione's right, the others should know too."

Harry sighed "Yeah, you're right. I dunno what has gotten in to me. It's just fair that they know too.. I can't bear if one of them gets hurt, or killed."

I smiled softly and said "I knew you'd come to your senses."

Hagrid cleared his throat yet again "Ehem. That's good. Ya only 'ave each other. Don't fight over petty things. But now, ya need to sleep. Tomorrow’s a big day."

We both nodded and said goodnight to Hagrid before heading to the castle. Harry brought out the marauders map, as we were walking. 

"Harry, do you think you can do this?" I asked just like nothing has happened a while ago.

But instead of answering me, he asked a question back "You like Diggory, don't you?"

I stopped in my tracks and said "Why do you think that way Harry? I...I don't like Diggory as in Like-like.."

"Okay, then." He said before hurrying forward.

I shook my head and continued walking quickly to catch up with him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"""""~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At the Gryffindor common room, the clock strikes One 'O clock. I stifled a yawn and tried to concentrate on my Ancient Runes. Harry and I just got back from Hagrid's when I remembered that I'm not yet done with my homework that is due the next two days. I can feel my eyelids getting heavy but I can't just leave my work. 

"Just a few minutes of sleep, I'll get back to it." I thought as I slowly closed my eyes and leaned my head on the table. 

I felt Harry come up and drape a blanket over me. I stirred a little, trying to mumble some thanks but can't do it. 

"You're gonna sleep here, again?" He asked softly.

I wanted to answer that I'll wake up later but I'm just too tired to do it. Suddenly, I felt myself being lifted. 

"Harry.." I managed to said

"Shh.. You're dead tired. Sleep. You need it." 

"But you-?" I started.

I could see him smile as he said "I'll get by." 

He laid me on the couch near the fireplace and fixed the covers. "G'night Hermione." 

"G'night Ha-" I haven't been able to finish my sentence because I was already fast asleep.