Chapter Seventeen: Where's my best friend?

The next few days passed by without me and Harry talking. At all. I feel like he's starting to ignore me, dragging Ron along. I felt alone..And invisible.. So I spent my time at the library, researching some useful spells and catching up on homework. Because I haven't been practicing with Harry, I have lots of free time to eat, sleep and other things I haven't been able to do the last weeks.

One of the few times I've been with Ron, when I was walking along the corridors, holding books I'm about to return to the library, we talked about Harry.

"Why is he doing this to me?" I asked.

"What is he exactly doing to you?" He asked back.

"Oh you know the answer Ron! He's been LITERALLY avoiding me." I said, exasperated

"Hermione.." He said, sighing "Sometimes, it's better to ignore things than to get more hurt."

"More hurt? Am I hurting him in some ways I don't know? Wow.." I said sarcastically.

We walked further ahead. I kept thinking on what Ron has said but I suddenly bumped with someone, snapping me out of the clouds. I quickly bent over to gather my books while apologizing. I caught Ron just staring down. I gasp when I saw Harry helping me down. But I gulped when I saw Cedric walking towards us. When both of us already stood up, Diggory reached us.

"Hey Granger." He greeted.

"Seems like we're not wanted." Harry muttered, dropping a couple of books that he picked up before leaving with Ron.

"What's wrong with them?" Cedric asked getting both books and handing them to me.

I shrugged and said "I dunno."

He put an arm around my shoulder and said "It's going to be okay. He's just pretty pressured about the tournament. You should go talk to him though. He needs his friend."

"He needs Ron, then." I said, rolling my eyes.

He dropped his arm and said "Hey, why talk like that?"

I shook my head "Nothing." I stopped before continuing "Will you do me a favor?"

"Sure, anything."

"Could you return these to the library? I'll be having a serious conversation with that guy." 

He took it from me gingerly and nodded "I'll see you around." 

"Thank you." I said before leaving.

~~~~~~~~~~~"""""""~~~~~~~~~~~

As expected, both of them are at the quidditch pitch. They weren't on their brooms but sitting on the bleachers. Harry's face was buried in his hands and Ron's doing his best to comfort him.

I gathered up all my courage and walked to them. Ron looked up at me and nodded sympathetically. He gave Harry a last pat in the back and stood up, leaving me standing in front of Harry, clearing my throat. 

Harry finally looked up. His eyes were red and his voice was shaky "W-What are you doing here?"

"Trying to approach you for the hundredth time. Asking you to talk to me." I tried to fight back tears but I failed. "Bring me back my best friend, Harry. I need him and I know he needs me too this time. I can't let him go to that competition knowing his not fully concentrated on the tasks."

"I'm sorry Hermione. I-I just can't." He sighed.

"Why?" I questioned. "Why Harry? Tell me. What's changed?" 

"Me." He said flatly.

"I can see that. But tell me why."

"Because.."

I waited for him to continue but it seemed I waited for nothing.

"Have you figured out the egg?" I asked.

He nodded "Yeah. I tried what the golden boy said and ta-daa, it worked."

"Why are you so mad at Diggory? I mean, he did nothing wrong to you!" 

He stood up facing me "Nothing wrong?! You don't know what you're talking about. He STOLE the world from ME!" He said angrily.

"You don't want me seeing Cedric, Do you?" I said, looking away.

"Fine. Then I don't. But why ask if you won't be doing it anyway."

"Because I don't have the reason to."

He shook his head and started to walk away. I blurted out the question that has been bothering me. "If Cedric hadn't requested you not to invite me to the ball, Would you?"

He stood there rooted "No." He said before walking towards the castle.

~~~~~~"""""""""~~~~~~~
A COUPLE OF DAYS LATER...

"Hermione Hermione!!" Ginny came rushing in, wearing her gown for the Yule ball. She stopped abruptly when she saw me still in my uniform "Why aren't you dressed?! Oh my, don't tell me you're not coming?! I'm so gonna kill you!"

I laughed a little “No, I’m coming.. I’ll be down in a few. You go ahead. I’m sure Viktor’s waiting for you at the great hall already.”

“Oh yeah! I forgot! Won’t you mind if I leave now? Or do you need any help getting dressed?” She said.

Nodding, I answered “I’m good. Enjoy your night!”

“Okay. See you later Hermione!” She said before leaving.

I stared at myself at the mirror for minutes. I can hear the common room being slowly emptied as everyone headed to the great hall, wearing fancy ball gowns with their respective dates. Finally, I decided. It’s time.

I got dressed and tried to pull my hair into a bun. I flashed a smile to myself, showing my perfectly even teeth (thanks to the help of Madame Pomfrey). I still felt unconvinced with my look so I applied a very little amount of make-up lent by Ginny and Lavender, on my face. When I felt satisfied, I wore the set of earrings my mum gave me and I made sure I wore the necklace with Cedric’s ring as a pendant. I heaved a sigh before putting on my shoes and finally, heading down to the Great Hall.