Chapter Eleven: The Ring

The next day, as Harry, Ron and I were walking to History of Magic, we told Ron what happened last night.

"Yeah, I agree with Hermione. The other champions should know" Ron said.

Quite surprised, I answered "You're really agreeing with me, Ron?"

"Of course. It's just fair." He scoffed

Harry threw his hands up in the air "Alright alright.. We’ll tell them."

Ron practically jumped in the air "Yay! Oh and by the way guys, I already told Fleur about it"

"Oh! So that's why you're so eager with my plan!" I said as I playfully whacked him with my hand.

Laughing hysterically, the three of us went inside the classroom.

As usual, it was as boring as ever. I tried to focus on what Professor Binns was saying but my mind keeps on floating to the upcoming first task. I shook away the thought and listened attentively. Halfway through class, Harry passed a note to me saying: "So what do we do? The task is creeping in slowly"

I don't usually like passing notes to class but, I have no other choice so I slipped him another note: "I'll be going to the library. Search spells that might be useful. You and Ron go and inform the other champions. I'll meet with you before potions at the common room."

His brows furrowed when he read the note. He turned to face me and gave a quick nod. Once again, I tried to listen to what professor was saying but I was distracted by Ron who couldn't keep awake. I rolled my eyes and shook my head disapprovingly. History of Magic is, I must admit, boring. Everybody just sleeps right through it. Well, except me and a few others. I kinda feel sorry for Professor since, no one really listens to him; even those who manage to stay awake, besides me that is.

After class, everyone shuffled outside the room. I was about to leave with Ron and Harry when Professor Binns called out "Ms. Granger, could you come here for a moment. I want a word with you."

"You guys go ahead. I'll meet you later and Harry," I said "please talk with Diggory, CALMLY. I don't want you guys getting into trouble again. Do I have your word, Harry?"

"Oh Fine. I will TRY."

"Harry!" I exclaimed.

"Alright alright I will."

"Good." I said before they left and I went to our teacher.  "Yes Professor?"

He smiled and said "Ah, Ms. Granger. I just want to tell you something. I couldn't help but notice that you were a bit..Distracted, in class.. Is there anything I could help you with?"

"I-I'm sorry Professor. I-I was just thinking about..The tournament.. I promise it won't happen again." I stammered.

Instead of being angry, he chuckled and said "Ah. The Triwizard tournament. The one Mr. Potter is in, eh?"

Slowly, I nodded.

"Well, you might be surprised to hear this Ms. Granger but I believe Mr. Potter when he says he didn't put his name in. It happened years ago before the tournament was.. erm..Stopped due to countless deaths. But as I was saying, it already happened. Way in the past. It wasn't pretty. I know Mr. Potter is your best friend so you need to teach him. Make him ready. Prepare him for what's in store. I can see he's very brave but he could be stubborn most of the times. You will serve as his light throughout the tournament. You are his chance. His chance to live." Professor Binns explained.

Confused, I asked "Me? But what do I do? I'm just a fourth year witch. I haven't got enough experience, Professor."

"Oh yes you do, Ms. Granger. You just don't see it. Anyway, I know you're busy so I won't keep you for long. Just a teacher to student advice: Play to your advantages and to your skills. It would go a long way." He winked and left the room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"""""~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was walking to the library, thinking about what professor Binns told me when I heard footsteps. I turned around and saw Cedric rushing towards me. He gave me a big hug and said "Thank you Hermione. You’re the best!"

Puzzled, I pulled away and asked "Erm. Sorry, what?"

He grinned "Harry told me. About the first task. I didn't really believe him at first. Even though Weasley backed him up. But when they told me you sent them. I knew they were telling the truth. I owe you. Big time."

"Uhmm.. You're not mad at me anymore?" I asked.

He shook his head slowly "I-I'm sorry if I acted like a total jerk. I was just in depression at that time and I don't know what I'm saying.. If you would forgive me..."

A smile formed on my lips and I said "Of course. It's alright. I knew you didn't mean it."

He nodded "Yeah. I really don't. I couldn't figure out what has gotten into my head at the time. Anyway, I wanna confirm it. Is it true that the first task is Dragons?"

I took a deep breath "Yeah. Just don't ask how we knew."

"Okay I won't." He smiled and continued "Thank you Hermione."

"No problem." I answered. Then I remembered "Cedric. I gotta go. Harry and Ron are waiting for me. I'll just see you around okay?"

"Hang on a minute. I wanna show something to you." He said while looking through his things. “It's just around here somewhere." He slumped down on the floor and spilled all his things. I watched him as he rummaged every pocket of his bag. "It can't be lost!" 

I picked up a book and flipped through it. I heard a soft thump when a small velvet pouch fell. I picked it up and showed it to him "Is this what you're looking for?"

His face brightened up and said "Yes. That's it! Open it."

I followed Cedric's order and I saw the most beautiful thing I've ever laid my eyes on.  I felt loss for words. It was a very beautiful gold ring. It felt light in my hand and as I touched it, I could feel its smooth texture. 

"I-It's... Wonderful!" I said in awe.

"I thought you'd like it." He chuckled.

"Of course! Who would be foolish enough not to like this?" I said.

He smirked and said "Really? Then you can have it."

My eyes widened in shock "You're kidding me!"

But he shook his head "No I'm not. Here, let me help you." He took the ring from me and slid it in my finger "There. It looks good on you."

“Why..I..” I stammered but settled for “Thank you.”

I hugged him tight before continuing “I want to stay and chat but I’ve got training with Harry. You know, Triwizard tournament.”

He nodded slowly “Oh yeah, sure. I’ll see you around! And Hermione.. Take care of that ring, will you?” He smirked before leaving.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~""""~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I went to the gryffindor common room and met up with Harry. We headed for an empty classroom and talked for a while.

"Why are you smiling like that?" He asked

I came to my senses and answered "Nothing. So, I had a talk with Professor Binns a while ago. He said to play to your advantages. And to your skills"

"But what am I good at? Nothing. Just quidditch."

I thought for a moment then it hit me "Harry, you're brilliant!"

He looked at me, confused "I am?"

I nodded eagerly "Yes you are! Think Harry. Quidditch. skills."

"Let's see" He said "You want me to play quidditch?"

I shook my head "No not play. But use IT."

"You mean use my.." He stopped abruptly and continued "My Firebolt?"

I practically squealed in delight but resisted it. I merely nodded "Yes Harry. You'll fly your way around the dragon."

"But we're not allowed anything except wands." He protested.

"That's why you're gonna summon it." I said in an as-a-matter-of-fact tone.

"Will it not be weird for you to be holding my broom?" 

"No. because I won't be holding it. You're going to summon it all the way from your room." I explained.

"Merlin's Beard Hermione! How can I do that?" He said, surprised

I pulled him to stand as I said "That's what YOU are going to practice."

We practiced for a few hours, starting from small things to heavier ones then to his broom. He's having a bit problem summoning it when it’s far away and out of sight.

"Harry. You can do it. Just try to picture it completely in your head and it will come to you with ease. Concentrate" I said smoothly.

We practiced for a few MORE hours until both of us were beat. 

"I think that's enough for today. Let's get some rest."  I told him when both of our heads are already aching.

"Rest sounds good." He agreed and we both left the room.

When I got to the girls dormitory, I changed into my pj's and laid on my bed staring at the Ring before slowly drifting away in my dreams.