Chapter Three: Sneaky

I purposely avoided everyone for the rest of the day. I admit, it was hard, especially with my friends but I just don't feel like talking. I guess what I was doing is impossible because just before the day ended, as I was walking along a corridor, I saw Harry and Ron. I frantically ducked inside an empty classroom and hid inside a broom closet. I held my breath as they entered the classroom I was in.

"Oh no.." I gasped. "They can't be doing detention in here!" 

Harry and Ron were caught by professor Snape whispering to each other during class so he gave them detention. For being "gossipers" as he said. 

"Ahh Potter, Weasley" a cold voice said which I was positive that is Snape. "So glad you could help me today. Those empty bottles need scrubbing and arranging in size."

I opened the closet door a bit and peeked. Snape handed both of them a rag and a pail of water.

"I expect it to be finished after an hour. And absolutely NO magic allowed." He said before leaving the room.

As soon as Snape was nowhere in sight, Ron exclaimed "Blimey Harry! How can we do all of these!? I didn't even understand what you're saying during potions!"

Harry heaved a sigh and told Ron "Let's just do it okay?" He grabbed a bottle and wiped it clean, and then he placed it back. "At least we have time to talk. And we could understand each other now."

Ron did the same as Harry and asked "Now, could you tell me what you're trying to say to me?"

"It's about Hermione." He said.

I was surprised that I almost opened the door widely but I controlled myself. I don't really eavesdrop but I couldn't help it so I listened closer.

"What about her?" Ron's eyes widened as he leaned towards his best friend. "Don't tell me you....her..."

Harry swatted Ron playfully and said "You shut it Ron! It's not THAT!" 

"Why? I was just being plain curious. I mean, we've been best friends for four years now. I couldn't blame you if you're falling for her. Sometimes, I actually think that I fancy her."

Harry sounded as surprised as I am "You do?!" 

Ron grinned and said "Hmm.. sometimes.. But most of the time, She's being a big Know-it-all..And of course, a good friend. PLUS! I'm not cheating on Lav." He put down the bottle he was holding and added "So mate, do you like our little friend?"

I could see Harry's face turn red as he said "She's a very good friend. Ahh.. But let's not talk about it. There are more important things." 

"Like what?"

"I'm kinda worried for her. I mean, she has been acting weird lately, don't you think?" Harry asked.

Ron thought for a minute and said "Yeah a bit. Do you reckon it has something to do with her dream?"

Harry nodded slowly. "Yeah, I feel it is. She was really scared when she woke up. And you know her, she rarely gets terrified" 

"Mmm....Hmm.." Ron agreed. "Maybe you should talk to her. Tonight. While the stars are bright. Everyone's asleep. And both of you sitting in front of the fire. Isn't that lovely?"

Harry laughed and hit Ron with his rag. "You've been talking like that since you and Lavender got together. Don't drag me into your fantasy world!" Then his face returned to being serious "But you're right. I'll talk to her later, which is if she talks to me. It's like she's avoiding us."

Ron shrugged and said "Maybe she thinks we'll tease her about what happened with her and Malfoy. And Diggory."

"You heard that too?!"

"Of course! The whole school's talking about it" Ron said.

Harry shook his head and told his friend "Maybe. But it's just not like her. Being so ungrateful to Diggory."

Ron nodded and sighed "Yeah. You should definitely do, Mate. I can't believe Luna can be a tattletale."

"Nah, it's not Luna. I'm sure it's Malfoy." Harry defended.

Ron's eyebrow raised "Now Harry. You tell me who is it."

"What? Who is it?" Harry said, confused.

Ron gave Harry a thoughtful look and said "I always thought you like my sister Ginny, but you said you have a huge crush on Cho. Now that I'm considering Hermione, you're speaking as if it's Luna. Spill it up Lover boy, who is it? I swear to Merlin I wouldn't tell"

Harry chuckled and said "Lavender has really influenced your way of thinking."

Both of them continued working while discussing about random stuff. My name would pop up every now and then. They were both tired as they finished the last bottle.

"Well done boys." Snape said as he entered the room. "Don't let me catch you again but on second thought, might as well. There are tons of papers needed to be arranged. Both of you are dismissed."

They left the room quickly. Now I'm really doomed. Snape sat on a chair and began grading papers. Minutes passed and when I was sure that I would fall over from exhaustion, Snape stood up and cast a quick glance over the place before leaving.

I stood inside the closet for about two more minutes before opening and leaving the room. My knees felt weak but I ran and ran, not really looking where I was going. I just let my feet carry me to the Gryffindor's common room.

Suddenly, BAM!! I hit someone, sending books flying all over. I quickly bent over to pick up a few and was surprised to see the name of the owner.

"I'm s-sorry. I wasn't really paying attention." I muttered while handing him his books.

Instead of shouting at me or being angry, Cedric smiled and chuckled "It's alright Granger." He took his books from me and added "What are you doing here at this hour?"

I shook my head and said "Nothing. I'll be going now."

He smiled at me and said "Okay. I'll see you around. Goodnight." then he left.

I stood there, my feet not moving. How can he be so nice to me after all that had happened? As I walked towards our common room, I slowly thought that the things they say about Diggory must be true. That he is a sweet, charming and gentle guy. I almost believed it but the thought of the nightmare still bothers me.

After I said the password to the portrait of the fat lady, I climbed the hole and entered our common room. I was surprised to see Harry sitting by the fire. I thought he was asleep so I crept quietly towards the girls' dormitory.

My heart leaped when he spoke "Hermione? Where have you been? I've been waiting for you." 

I turned to face him and said "At the library."

He stood up and walked to me. "You're lying. I checked and you weren't there. Where have you been, really?"

I sighed "Fine I'll tell you." I wasn't really going to admit that I eavesdropped on them but decided to tell a little truth. "I was with Diggory." 

"What are you doing with him? At this hour?" Though Harry tried to hide it, I know there was something unusual in his tone.

"I'm not doing anything wrong!" I snapped. I sighed and added "I just helped him with something, Harry." I answered, which was the truth since I really helped him with something.

He took a deep breath and said "That's not what I meant. Anyway, Hermione, we've got to talk." 

"Harry, can't it wait until tomorrow? I'm tired."

He shook his head and said "You have been avoiding me all day."

"No I'm not." I told him simply.

But Harry was firm. "Yes you have. Did I do something wrong?" 

"No you haven't. It's just that..It has been a tough day."

Harry looked at me with concern. "Yeah, So I've heard. The whole school has heard actually, all thanks to Malfoy. You wanna talk about it?"

I shook my head and said. "Maybe tomorrow. I'm really tired right now Harry."

"Oh.. Okay. You get some rest. Sweet dreams." He smiled faintly before heading to the boys' dormitory.

I heaved a sigh as I walked up to my bed. While changing into my pj's, I hoped that I don't dream about it again. I laid on my bed and closed my eyes, thinking "It has indeed been a tough day." then I drifted off to sleep.