Chapter Eighteen: The Yule Ball

I saw the Great Hall full of students from the three different schools while the four champions stood there with their "dates" except Diggory. My knees felt weak and I just waited for a while. I heard them having this conversation.

"Where is she? Please tell me she's coming.." Cedric asked nervously, looking at Harry.

"I dunno. Maybe she's not really coming at all.” He replied.

Ginny nudged Harry and said "Don't scare him, Harry!" Then she turned to Cedric, "Don't worry. She IS coming. She told me herself."

Thinking it was time; I slowly descended down the stairs and felt several pairs of eyes on me.

"Is that Hermione?!" Ron exclaimed disbelievingly.

Cedric rushed at the bottom of the staircase and waited for me. As I reached the last step, he held his arm out which I gratefully took. Then we walked over to them.

"Hermione! You look, amazing!" Luna complimented before adding "Right Harry?"

Before he could answer, a loud booming voice called out to everyone.

"Students!! We now present the Triwizard champions, with their respective dates, to do the opening dance."

Viktor, together with Ginny, was the first to enter the Hall. Followed by Fleur, partnered by (surprisingly) Ron. Then Harry went in with Luna. Cedric and I were the last one to go. We danced to the beat but I can’t help but notice that Luna and Harry are having troubles. I can’t take my eyes off of them. The sight of them together weighs heavily on my chest.

“Why are you staring at them?” Cedric asked.

Like snapping out of a daze, I shook my head and answered “N-Nothing..”

He just shrugged and we continued dancing, and were joined by the others. The song and ended and another one took place, which was followed by another and another and another. The Ball was mainly composed of dancing and eating and drinking. Before the night ended, I was already beat and my feet were aching. I decided to take a short rest.

As I was standing at a corner, Cedric approached me. “Hey, you okay? You seem pretty preoccupied tonight.”

“I’m-I’m fine..” I lied.

Even though I can see he isn’t convinced, He dropped the subject when Luna and Harry approached us.

“Hi, Hermione!! Enjoying yourselves?” Luna greeted.

“WE are enjoying as much as you TWO, thank you very much.” I said, though I didn’t mean it to sound too bitter.

The three of them looked at each other, throwing confused looks at Cedric, who just shrugged in return. The four of us just stood there, frozen until Professor Dumbledore spoke.

“Everyone, I do hope you’re enjoying the night. But before we officially end the Yule Ball, I would like to ask each Gentleman to invite a lady he did not accompany this evening, to dance the Witch and Wizard’s Waltz.”

I looked around as everyone paired up. I just knew what was coming. As expected, Cedric asked Luna to dance.

“May I have the pleasure?”

“Of course.” Luna replied, taking Cedric’s arm, before joining the others.

The air blew, sending shivers down my spine. I wrapped my arms around me and braced myself for what will happen next. Suddenly, an enchanting music began playing..

“You’re in my arms, and all the world is gone..

The music playing on, for only two..”