Chapter Six: Detention

"Hi Diggory." I greeted when I met him outside Snape's office.

He smirked and responded "Hi Granger. Snape said we should  just go to our potions room where he left a stack of papers for us to sort out."

I nodded and we quietly walked together through the empty hallways. 

The silence was broken when Cedric spoke "I'm sorry."

I looked up and asked "Why? You didn't do anything wrong"

He shook his head and just said "Nevermind." 

When we reached the room, there were two piles of paper. I got to work immediately, wanting to end this quickly. Cedric sat beside me and started working too..

I'm still thinking about what he was sorry for so I decided to strike up a conversation. "So, you really want to be chosen"

He looked up and asked "Sorry, what?"

"The tournament. I mean, you put your name in. You really want to compete?"

He sighed "Yeah. Badly."

"But why? It's dangerous. You don't know what will happen."

"I just need to win this competition. I really do, Hermione" He looked at me with sadness, an emotion that I didn't expect coming out from Cedric Diggory, the "golden boy”. 

"But why? I'm sure you don't need the galleons." I said. Then I realized. "Oh, eternal glory." He was just like the other guys, willing to sacrifice their lives for fame.

But his answer caught me off guard, "No Hermione. It's not that." I could see tears threatening to spill from his eyes but he shrugged it off. "It's my Dad."

"What about your Dad?" I asked, even though I know it’s a touchy subject.

I didn't wait for an answer but he gave me one "I want him to be proud of me. He's always been extremely happy whenever I have big accomplishments. This is my big break Hermione. I need to win this tournament. I haven't told this to anyone but you Granger. I trust you." 

I didn't know what to say. I feel lost for words. He was openly being vulnerable in front of me. "You can do it Cedric. I believe in you. Don't worry I'll help you." 

He looked up at me and asked "You will?"

I smiled a little and nodded "Yes. But I'm not promising.. I'll just do what I can."

He smiled up and said "Thank you. I'll appreciate that."

There were a few minutes of silence before Cedric broke it again. "So Hermione, you've been friends with Weasley and Potter for four years now, eh?"

I smiled and nodded "Bestest Friends. They're the ones who made me feel welcome even though I'm a Mudblood." 

Cedric flinched when I said that. "Don't call yourself like that."

"Why? I am a Mudblood and I'm proud of it."

He sighed and asked "If you don't want to answer this it's alright but.." He looked around before continuing "Since you've been best friend with Potter for a long time now, have you ever felt something for him? I mean more than friends?" 

I was surprised that I laughed "Harry? Oh no.. He's a friend. A close friend." My face got serious and I don't exactly know why I said it "But, I don't know.. Maybe.. Oh Cedric, why are you asking me that?"

He chuckled and said "Thought you'll say that. I was just wondering because I see the way he looks at you. The look of longing and wanting." 

My cheeks felt red and I swat him playfully "Eh, you pay attention to little things too much Diggory! For him, I'm just like a sister. He'll never like me more than that."

He looked at me innocently "Why? You're smart, pretty, nice and fun to be with, why wouldn't he like you?"

"Oh cut it out Diggory!" I laughed.

We talked while we worked for a few more minutes. It was almost midnight when we finished, and we're both exhausted. We left the room and he walked with me up to the portrait of the fat lady.

"Goodnight Granger." He said

I smiled a bit and answered "Same to you Diggory." 

He gave me a last look and headed for the Hufflepuff rooms. I told the fat lady the password and climbed through the hole. I was startled to see Ron sitting by the fire, like Harry.

"Ron? What are you doing here?" I asked.

He looked up with serious eyes and said "Oh Merlin Hermione. You should go talk to Harry tomorrow."

I was suddenly worried "Why? Is there something wrong?"

"Just ask him yourself will you? I'm beat." He said before sleeping on the couch.

I climbed up the stairs leading to the girl's dormitory. I changed into my pajamas and lay on my bed. My eyes immediately closed and drifted into sleep.