Chapter Sixteen: Skipping Stones

<pre><span style="font-size: 12pt; font-family: Georgia, serif;">As I walk through the corridors, I can feel everyone's eyes on me but I don't care. As long as I have my friends on my side, I'm cool. But I'll be lying if I say I'm not affected because I really am. In Merlin's name! Harry's my best friend! My BEST FRIEND! I can't believe someone can cook up that kind of news.

~But she couldn't have possibly invented all that stuff.. Of course she’s seeing something I don't.~

I shook my head at the thought and stepped out the castle grounds. The cold wind pierced into my skin. I hugged myself and walked to the lake. I blinked several times to see if I was hallucinating. Harry and Cedric are talking with each other. CALMLY. I hid behind a tree and listened to their conversation.

"So, I guess you've popped the question?" Harry said.

Cedric nodded before answering "Yeah. I told you I would. And she said yes. Unlike what you thought."

Silence...I held my breath as the wind was the only sound that can be heard. It was broken by Cedric when he added "Thank you Harry."

"For what?"

"I know you've been planning to ask her to the ball. Thank you for not doing so." Diggory said.

"Oh? Who said I'm gonna ask her out?" Harry smiled and shook his head before patting Cedric's back. "You take care of her, okay?" 

As Harry turned to leave, Cedric called out "Hey Potter wait!"

"Yeah?" 

"Look.. I realized I didn't properly thank you about tipping me off about those dragons.." Diggory said.

"Don't worry about it. I'm sure you would have done the same for me." Harry said, turning to leave.

Cedric rushed up in front of him and put a hand on his shoulder. "Exactly." Then he leaned in to whisper which I couldn't hear. When Cedric pulled away, He gave Harry a smile before leaving.

I saw Harry face the lake and pick up a stone then throws it across the lake. I nervously walked up to him and touched his shoulder lightly. "Harry..??"

He turned around and nodded before picking up another rock "Hi Hermione.."

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"N-Nothing." He lied. I just KNEW he's not telling the truth.

"Harry! Spill it. What’s up?"

"Just nervous for the tournament.." He answered.

"Haven't figured out your egg yet?" I asked again.

He shook his head "Not yet. But Cedric suggested something.."

"It wouldn't hurt to try right?" I said.

He gave a light nod before staring back into the lake. After a few minutes of silence, I asked another question.

"You mad?" 

Startled, he said "Sorry, what?"

"I said, are you angry? With me?"

"No, Of course not! Why would you think about such a thing?"

"Because of the ..Prophet?"

"Oh. That..No, don't worry about it." Harry assured.

I shrugged and said "Okay. But Harry, if you don't mind, what are you and Cedric talking about?"

"Since you've already said yes, better let you know.." He took a deep breath and picked up another stone, sending it skidding down the lake. I waited for him to continue.

"Remember the time he asked to talk to me?" 

I nodded "Yeah. What about it?"

"Well, that time, he asked me not to ask you to the ball." 

I practically choked when I heard that. "What?! Are you kidding me?"

"I am most certainly not. Anyway, I said okay since.." He stopped then continued "Since I...I haven't planned to ask you to the ball. I mean never."

I dunno why but it hit me in the gut. Hard. 

~Hermione, calm down. No need to over react. Of course he wouldn't ask me to the ball! Why make a fuss?~

"Oh.. I-I see.. So he asked me out?" 

"Yeah. You can say that."

Because of another awkward silence, a small stone caught my attention. I picked it up and threw it on the lake but it quickly sank down. Shaking my head, I picked up another one and threw it again but I still got the same result. I was about to throw my 3rd rock when Harry spoke.

"Here, let me help you." He took my hand and positioned my fingers against the rock. "Put your index finger against the edge of the rock." 

I obeyed and nodded. Next, he instructed me to stand with my feet shoulder width apart facing sideways to the water which I did so. After that, he stood behind me and pressed his arm against mine. "Then you flick your rock across the surface with a sharp movement of the wrist. Like throwing Frisbee or casting a charm." 

I can feel his heartbeat against my back. It was slow and steady like drum beatings. I can feel his warmth envelop me and as I threw my rock across the calm water, my heart skipped a beat as my stone bounced and bounced and bounced against the water before finally sinking.

My eyes widened as I turned to face him "I did it Harry!"

Both of us were surprised at how close our faces are with each other. I gazed into his deep and caring eyes. At that moment, I think I've finally known what Krum and Diggory are telling me about how Harry looks at me. I just realized that there really is something DIFFERENT with the way he looks at me. I felt weak and my knees began to buckle and would've fallen into the water if Harry didn't catch me. My breath was returning to its normal state. I grabbed my friend's shoulder for support and he held me in his arms. For minutes I felt.... Calm and..Safe...comfortable and not pressured. Again, I dared to look up and I can see him sweating. Nervously, he brushed a stray hair across my face and held me tighter. He's getting closer and closer and....

"Ehem!"

Startled, both of us jumped away from each other and I can feel my face blush bright red. It was professor Dumbledore.

"I'm sorry. Did I.. Interrupt something?" He asked us.

I glanced at Harry before shaking my head "No.. Nothing Professor."

"Yeah. It's...It's N-Nothing Professor." Harry agreed.

"Okay.. Well, Ms. Granger, if you would excuse me and Harry.. If it's alright?" Professor asked, touching Harry's shoulder lightly.

I nodded "Of Course Professor. I..I'll leave you two for a while." Then I turned to leave.

"No no.." Professor said cheerfully "I'll be having a word with Harry inside my office. I'll be waiting for you there, Harry. Be...quick." He said as he gave Harry a wink before heading back to the castle.

Both of us were left there, no one saying a word. Unable to stand the tension any longer, I cleared my throat and said "Y-you better get going.."

He gave me a slight nod "Okay. I-I'll see you later." He said before following our headmaster.</span></pre>