Chapter 13: Promises

"That was- That...Yeah, we're secretly dating," John blurted. Alex put his arm around him. The two held a grin. "But Eliza," Hercules said. "Nobody needs to know," Alex reminded him. "Who do you love, man?" Hercules asked him. "John," Alex stated.

________________________________

The family gathering came so fast. Marquis had turned down family game night to come with Hercules. Hercules then wondered if family game night was what he was worth to him. Haha.

"Marquis!" Hercules laughed, in the backseat of his mother's car. Marquis had kissed Hercules on his hand. "I'm sure the family will accept you any way you two come," Sarah assured her son and his boyfriend. Little did she know James and Thomas were going to do the same thing.

"I can't believe you called shotgun before me, Thomas!" Hercules chuckled. Thomas gave him a smirk and said,"I try to compete!" He was obviously joking.

   Marquis was silent because he couldn't comprehend all these English voices flying at him at once. "Hercules," Marquis put his hand on Hercules',"do you miss father?"

   Hercules' smile turned into a frown. "I don't know if you can understand me very well, but my dad was fine until he betrayed me. I only liked him because I look like him," he joked with a reassuring smile. Marquis nodded, not fully sure of what he was saying.

    Hercules then kissed Marquis on the forehead with a smile. "M-mom," James looked her in the eye,"I'm making an announcement tonight that I want everyone to hear," he then looked away. He had reached his confident side. He then started to breathe fast, and Thomas reached back and rubbed his arm. James then gave him a glare, and Thomas jerked back up with a huge blush.

      "So, Mrs.Madison, how are you doing so far?" Thomas asked, embarrassed. Sarah didn't even notice what happened. She still kept driving. "Oh,Thomas! Yes, honey, I am doing very fine!" She responded. She said honey to everyone.

   "Thomas, you're such a sweet boy! Have any girlfriends yet?" She asked, trying to see what's going on in all the kid's lives.

   Thomas looked around,"Me?" He pointed to himself. Sarah nodded with a smile, half confused. James looked really nervous and was eager to hear his response.

    "Well, not exactly," he said, trying to act calm. Sarah laughed. "So, you have a crush, hon?" She laughed at him, turning the car. "Yeah," he sighed, blowing a kiss to James when she looked out the window. James smiled a huge grin.

_______________________________

  "We have a life changing announcement. I know that this is all happening in the day of the funeral, but I hope this will bring joy to you and hopefully bring you closer to my son!" Sarah smiled, holding up a glass of wine. Hercules walked up and put his hands behind his back.

  "Hey, Guys. Vsau- Hercules. It's Hercules. I honestly have no idea who some of you are, so. Well, ahem, anyway. This is so weird saying, but-but-" he looked at Marquis who was pushing his head, signaling for him to keep talking. Hercules let out a nervous grin and turned to the dinner table.

   "So, some people are differ- some people are just unique, okay? And I guess what I'm trying to say is-" Hercules was interrupted by James.

  "I am so gay!" He screamed. Thomas then jumped out behind him and threw rainbow confetti everywhere.

   It got really quiet as the whole family stared at him. The family looked around at each other, oddly. "My nephew? With a guy?" He heard his aunt say over the loud noises.

    "I'm gay for a frenchman!" Hercules barged in.
   "Well, I'm gay for the fabulous guy that has the ghost of Daveed Diggs in him!" James tried to top.

   "So, is it coming to where everybody in this whole universe is gay? Well that wasn't somethin' from when I was a kid!" His grandmother rang, confused.

  That's when two people crawled through a window. "The gayest of the gay are here to- I told you the rainbow confetti wasn't original!" Alex saw the confetti all over the ground.

  John silently put away the confetti into his pockets, swaying back and forth.

   That's when Marquis, John, Alex, and Hercules screamed,"YAY! The wicked warlock is dead!" They screamed, holding up their wine glasses that were filled with apple juice. John can get drunk on anything. Sadly, it's true.

______________________________

   Sarah approached James, trying to let him know she's not mad. "James, is that what you wanted to announce?" She asked. She tried to talk as smooth as possible. James shook his head. "I want to say one more thing," He got up and dragged Thomas' arm across infront of the table. "So, Thomas and I are together. But, we're taking it to the next step once we graduate. Thomas gave me a promise ring!" He grinned, hugging onto his boyfriend.

  "You're getting married to Thomas once we leave Highschool?" Hercules sounded actually excited. James looked at Thomas and then at his brother and grinned. "Yes!" He held both of his brother's hands. He then hugged Thomas again. The two laughed.

"What is z'is promise ring?" Marquis asked, confused. Hercules went behind him and wrapped his arms around Marquis' neck. "It means that after we graduate, It's us promising to each other we'll get married!" Thomas grinned. Marquis smiled,"Ah," he then took Hercules' arms and spun him in front of him, planted a kiss on his head, and smiled at him.

Hercules blushed. John came running through, dragging Alex with him. "He got drunk on apple juice, didn't he?" Thomas stated as Hercules nodded.

That's when Alex's phone rang. He checked the number. "Eliza," he murmured. John grasped his hand,"Answer it. I understand!" Alex kissed John and answered it. "Hey, Eliza, babe. Whatcha doing?" He asked.

"Why is there such a huge noise?" She immediately asked. "Actually, John and I are going on a trip to the amusement park!" Alex grinned. It was perfectly normal for two friends to go to the amusement park. You could tell she smiled through the phone,"Oh, of course! Have fun, Alex!" She smiled. "Love you, bye!" Alex quickly ended the phone.

"I feel bad for Eliza," John blurted. Alex rubbed his hand. "Honestly, me too. However, I love you a lot more," Alex grinned. John chuckled,"m'kay!"

"My son's getting married!" Sarah practically screamed. She jumped a circle. James nodded with a grin. "I'm so excited, honey!" She hugged him.