Chapter 9

RYKER POV

When I opened that filing cabinet, I'd never imagined I'd find what I did. A certificate of adoption for me was in there. I was adopted. How could I have lived my whole life and not know? More importantly how could my parents have not told me? 

I felt like my life was a lie. Everything. Who was I? Who were my real parents? What happened to them? Why didn't my parents tell me? My parents, who were these people that adopted me? They were coming home tomorrow and I had no idea how to face them. I was furious and confused and sad. 

I was absolutely speechless. When Bea came in I was still speechless. I felt numb and felt everything at the same time. 

"Oh Ryker.. I had no idea." Bea said quietly after I had handed her the certificate. She touched my shoulder gently. "Are you okay?" She asked quietly. 

With that question I felt like I suddenly came back to life. I looked up and I just cracked. "Do I look okay?" I asked in a sharp tone.

Bea looked taken aback at first but quickly regained composure. "No. You don't." She then wrapped her small arms around me. 

She smelled vaguely like coconuts, which I knew was the smell of her shampoo. My head ached, it was pounding over and over. I felt suffocated by the weight of this new knowledge and I needed something to clear my head. 

"Bea, I think you should go." I said so quietly, that even I barely heard it. 

But alas, Bea has always been in tune with me. She released me from the hug and looked at me. "What?" 

"You should go, it's late." I said a bit louder. 

"I don't think you should be alone right now Ryker." She said, concern evident on her face. "I'm staying with you tonight." 

I shook my head. "Your parents will be worried." 

"Ryk, I live two houses down. They'll be fine, and this is important." She said, throwing her arm around me. 

I shrugged the arm off and ignored the look on Bea's face. "You need to leave Bea." I said. 

"Ryker, please. You're hurting and I'm here to help you." 

I felt like my mind was in a hurricane. I couldn't breath. "You're hurting me. Get out Bea! I'm serious!" I finally yelled, louder than I've ever yelled in years. 

Bea physically jumped back at the noise. Her face wounded, like I just hit her. "Ryker, I know that you're upset. It's okay I-' I had to cut her off. 

"Get the fuck out Bea. You don't know anything about how I'm feeling, how could you?! I just got the rug pulled out from under me and you get to go home to your happy and perfect family!"

Bea's face was unrecognizable. "Ryker no one's family is perfect. Your parents love you though." She said quietly. 

"Just leave me the hell alone." He said. 

Bea stood up. "Fine. But don't close me out just because of something that I didn't do." 

And with that she left, leaving me alone with my thoughts and new information. 

BEA POV

I've never seen Ryker like this. So broken, so upset, so lost, so different. 

It was a shock. I never suspected anything, I mean Ryker looked just like his parents. I knew he was hurting and he had a right to be. I just never thought he'd turn on me.