Chapter 8

An: I don't own Twitter or Converse. Somewhat sensitive topic in this chapter so you are warned.

BEA POV

"I honestly don't think I can look at another journal entry from your grandmother." I told Ryker as I plopped down on a leather recliner in his father's study. We had been looking through sheets, photos, and documents for most of the day trying to find information for Ryker to use for his project. 

"Me neither." Ryker admitted, putting down a document. "Let's go take a lunch break." He suggested and I nodded eagerly. 

We drove to the local pizzeria and split our favorite pizza, cheese with pineapple and bacon on top. 

"No one understands how good this is besides you Bea. Even my parents hate pineapple and bacon on pizza." He said, taking a huge bite of a slice. 

I sipped my soda. "Same. No one wants to try it even though it's so good! I guess that just means more for you and I." I said with a smirk. 

Ryker smiled and held up his cup. "Cheers to that." And with that we clanked our cups together, enjoying our food and drinks together in comfortable silence. 

Then my phone buzzed. I looked at Ryker and he just nodded, "You can check it." 

I pulled out my phone and saw a text from Jared asking if I was free tonight. "Say yes, and don't worry about me. I'm fine. We hung out last night and all day today. I know you want to." Ryker said, reading my mind without even me speaking or seeing Jared's text. 

I smiled and squeezed his hand, "Thanks Ryk, you're the best."

He quickly stacked his trash on his plate, "We should probably head home then." He said, standing up. 

RYKER POV

I dropped Bea off at her house so she could go on her date an hour ago. I didn't want her to feel guilty about going out with Jared, I just wanted some time with her too. 

Since my parents were away overnight, I decided to do some more research on my project. I had looked in a lot of pockets and drawers until everything in my dad's study was checked, except for one filing cabinet. 

It was one with three shelves. I decided to open it but found it was locked. Now I was curious. My dad was so open about his work and everything else, so now I had to find out what was in this cabinet. 

I searched all throughout the study for the keys to the cabinet and finally found it in a drawer in his desk. 

I quickly opened the drawers, eager to see its contents. What I found in that cabinet, I could never be able to unsee. 

BEA POV

Jared and I were out with a bunch of his football friends at a local hangout for high schoolers. A few of Jared's friends were in a band so we just watched them and listened to them play. They weren't great but the atmosphere was fun. 

"I'm gonna go talk to some of those guys over there,' Jared pointed to a group on the opposite side of the room. 'They're from a different school. Just stay over here." He said. 

"Okay." I said awkwardly. I didn't know anyone here so I just hopped on a bar stool and pulled out my phone. 

I was quickly surfing through Twitter when something caught my eye. 

@RykerAdams12: I can't believe this. 

@RykerAdams12: Please tell me this is all a dream.

@RykerAdams12: I've never felt so betrayed. 

I was quickly concerned. It wasn't like Ryker to be so open with his feelings on twitter or really in general. I shot him a text asking him if he was okay. 

When he didn't answer, I called him and got voicemail. I was officially worried and had to go see him. Jared drove so I walked over to see if he'd give me a ride home. He was in the middle of some discussion but I had to get over to Ryker to make sure he was okay. 

I tapped his shoulder gently. "Jared? Sorry to bother you-' I was cut off by Jared shooing my hand away. 

"Go away Bea. I'm talking to the guys. Go occupy yourself for a while." He said, not even bothering to look at me. His response was met by snickers from the guys he was talking to.

 I was annoyed but I was too worried about Ryker to bother responding to Jared. Luckily I was wearing converse and the place that we went wasn't too far from our houses so I decided I'd just run there myself. 

"Thank god I'm in shape." I mumbled to myself as I picked up a nice pace down the street in the direction toward our street. 

Within 15 minutes I was on our street. His house was dark except for one light. I didn't bother knocking and just let myself in. 

"Ryker?" I called. 

No answer. 

"Ryk?" I called again, walking towards the room that I saw lit from outside, his father's study. 

"Ryker? I said quietly, opening the door. 

There I saw Ryker sitting on the floor, clutching a piece of paper. He looked up at me, his eyes red rimmed. 

"Are you okay?" I asked softly. 

He didn't answer so I quietly took a seat next to him on the floor. Wordlessly he handed me the paper he was holding. I look down at it and it wasn't just any old paper, it was a certificate of adoption.