Chapter 33

BEA POV

"I can pick that up. You don't have to do that."

"No it's fine Ryk, just sit, you've had a hard day." I told him soothingly as I swept up the glass and flowers that littered the floor. 

"I just can't believe they were so nonchalant and closed about having me. It was like I was just some small event and not a whole person being born." He said softly, his voice wavering at the end. 

"I couldn't believe it either to be honest. It was really shitty of them to talk to you like that, and I'm sorry they did. You don't deserve that." I told him, dropping the sweeping pan  and walking over to him where he sat on the couch. I sat beside him and wrapped my arms around him, getting him to turn to look at me. 

"I don't know.." He broke off. 

"I do know. You are the greatest person I know. You're kind, smart, funny, charming, handsome, compassionate, and I could go on forever. Anyone who doesn't see that and doesn't want to make an effort is an idiot." I told him. 

And for the first time since we entered that house of his birth parents, he cracked a small smile. "Have I ever told you how much I love you?" 

I smiled at him. "Yes, but it's always nice to hear it again." 

He kissed me slowly on the lips when suddenly we both froze from the sound of tires rolling into the driveway. "It's either Mom or Dad." He said panicked. 

I stroked his arm, "It's okay don't worry about it. Do you want me to stay?" I asked. 

"It's okay, I think it's time I tell them what I did today." 

I nodded, kissing his forehead before letting myself out, passing Mrs. Adams on the way out. 

---BREAK---

RYKER POV

The silence was driving me crazy as my parents paced around the living room while I just sat on the couch. I had just told them about my day and meeting Sharon and Steven and now they were pacing like their life depended on it. Neither of them had said a word yet. 

"Mom, Dad, please say something." I begged. 

"I just- I just can't believe you did this." Dad first broke the silence. 

"Me neither, how could you do this alone?" Mom added, finally sitting down beside me. 

"I had Bea with me." 

She just gave me a look. "I mean how could you not tell us you were doing this. I mean you never even told us you were interested in meeting your birth parents when we first talked about your adoption." She said, "I just wish you had told us you were interested in meeting them so we could have helped, and maybe stopped the hurt your feeling now." Her face was a mixture of disappointment and sadness. 

"I just needed to do this on my own." I whispered. 

Mom ran her hand over my head, resting at my neck. "Oh honey, I just hate that you were disappointed. We should have gotten their information for you and talked about it with you." Guilt was spread on her face. 

I shook my head, "No Mom you guys didn't do anything wrong. You gave me the space I needed. This was just something I had to do alone, and no it didn't go great, and yes I'm disappointed, but it only made me feel that much greater that I ended up with you two as my parents." 

Both of my parents eyes lit up and smiles stretched across their faces before they engulfed me in a group hug. In that moment I was truly glad that I had been put up for adoption and had gained such great parents.