Chapter 44

BEA POV 

There was less than a week left until school ended, things between Ryker and I had been strong since that talk in the diner. 

We were getting dinner but Ryker seemed distracted. He wasn't his usual talkative self and he was barely eating.

"Are you alright Ryk?" 

"What?" He asked distractedly. 

I touched his arm, "Are you okay I asked". 

He briefly glanced over at me, "Sorry. I'm fine, it's just. My parents sent me a letter". 

"What? When" I asked. 

"It was waiting for me when I got home this afternoon."

"Did you open it?" 

"Yeah....' he trailed off, getting lost in thought again.

"And?" I pressed. 

"They want to come to my graduation" He looked up at me, his face in disbelief.

"Wow, that's.... surprising". 

He scoffed, "I know. First they want nothing to do with me and now they want to come to my graduation?" 

"Have you told your Mom and Dad?"

"Yeah they think I should let them come. They say it may be a good way to get to know them , or at least help me feel better". 

"Well how do you feel?" I asked him. 

He shrugged, "I don't know. That day we met them was so hard. But maybe it would be nice getting to know them. What do you think?"

"I want you to be happy, so whatever will make you happiest, that is what I think you should do. Whatever you choose, I'll be there to support you", I smiled at him. 

He leaned across the table and gave me a peck on the lips. "You're the best." He smiled. 

RYKER POV 

I felt better after talking with Bea and decided that I was going to do it. I was going to invite my birth parents to my graduation. In the letter, they left me their home number and both of their cell numbers. I decided to go with the home number and call them. 

I dialed the number with shaky fingers, the ringing was deafening and terrifying. "Hello?" I heard a soft voice speak over the phone, one I remembered to be Sharon's. 

"Hi, Sharon?" 

"Yes, is this Ryker?" 

I nodded, then remembered she couldn't see me. "Yes. I-uh I got your letter." 

"Oh. I know it was out of the blue, but we, Steven and I, just wanted to, um..." She stuttered. 

"I know what you mean, I feel the same way".  

I could feel a sigh of relief on her end. I took a deep breath, "So that is why I wanted to invite you and Steven to my graduation. It's next Sunday at 10". 

"Really?" I could hear her excitement and hope over the phone. 

"Yes, I would love it if you came".

"We wouldn't miss it for the world. I'll let you go, but we can't wait to see you". 

I said goodbye and hung up the phone. It  felt that as if things were finally coming into place.