Chapter 1

Warning: Some language

BEA (Narrator) POV

Have you ever had that one childhood friend that is in literally every memory you have as a child? The one you feel like you've known your entire life? Well that exactly explains my relationship with my best friend Ryker Adams. It started when my Mom and his mom met in the grocery store. 

My mom was 9 months pregnant and Ryker was just two months old. They both reached for the last cut of hamburger patties. Both mom's were getting food for fourth of July parties and they both laughed when they saw the predicament. My mom let Ryker's mom get the last of the hamburgers and Ryker's mom invited my mom and family over for fourth of July because she knew how exhausting it would be to just have a baby and then a huge party. They've been best friends ever since. 

And with that meant that when they hung out, Ryker and I also hung out. Both of us were practically only children. Ryker was an only child, and my brother was fourteen years older so he  wasn't really up for always hanging out with me. But I never minded. I loved my brother, and still do, but Ryker and I have always had a connection. 

He always makes me laugh and he's always been there for me. We're best friends and I can honestly say that we have been since birth. 

----

BEA (REGULAR) POV

It was a warm September morning and I was sitting down at the table to quickly eat cereal before school. Ryker would be here any minute to pick me up for school like he always did ever since he had gotten his license. I also had my license but unfortunately I couldn't afford a car right now so for now I was lucky enough to have a best friend who would always drive me so I wouldn't have to face the dreaded bus. 

I took a bite out of my cereal when the front door opened. Both my parents had already left for work and my brother Heath lived in South Carolina and I and our parents lived in North Carolina. This meant that there could only be one person at the door. 

"Ever heard of knocking?" I teased, not even bothering to look up at him. 

"Ever heard of I don't care?" Ryker retorted back.

I smiled to myself and continued eating my cereal. I heard cabinets opening and closing behind me. "There's clean bowls in the dishwasher." I said, already knowing what he was doing. 

"Thanks." Ryker replied. 

A minute later Ryker pulled out a chair across from me and sat down, quietly eating his cereal. This was an everyday thing for the two of us, and it always had been. Even before Ryker got his license we would always meet at each other's house before school then either one of our parents would drive us or we would walk to the bus stop together. It helped that we only lived two houses away from each other. 

"We have that calculus test today-' I was cut off by the sound of Ryker's loud groaning

"Fuck! That's today?" He asked, running a hand through his short brunette hair. 

I chuckled. "Yeah, you didn't study?" I asked, even though I knew the answer. 

"Why didn't you text me?!" He asked frustratedly. 

I collected both our bowls and put them in the sink. "I did text you, but you never answered me." I told him. 

"Well actually I was kind of busy last night.." He trailed off, smirking to himself. I rolled my eyes, Ryker was known for being constantly busy with various girls. 

"Gross. How much did you pay this girl?" I asked. 

Ryker stuck his tongue out at me. "Very funny." He replied sarcastically. 

I laughed and looked at my phone. "We should probably go, it's getting late. I'll quiz you when we get to school." I said. 

I hopped in the passenger seat of his Jeep and he quickly got in the driver's side. As he started the car I turned on the radio. "Please no crap today." He begged. Ryker and I like mostly the same music, but I did have a guilty pleasure for pop music that Ryker didn't really share.

"Fine!" I exclaimed, turning on our favorite alternative music station. He nodded approvingly and turned the volume up. 

We soon arrived at the high school and Ryker pulled into his usual spot before parking the car. The parking lot was busy and buzzing as it was every morning. "Do you wanna head to homeroom so I can quiz you?" I asked Ryker as we headed closer to the school.

"Sur-' Ryker stopped mid-answer. 

I looked up to see what had distracted him and immediately sighed. Another girl had distracted him. And not just any girl, Ari Vonne, the meanest person at school. "Really Ryker?" I asked, pinching his arm to bring him back to reality. 

Ryker shrugged, "She's hot." He said simply.

I rolled my eyes. 

"I'll catch up with you later okay Bea?" He said distractedly, already walking up. I shook my head  but continued walking. 

"Bea!" I heard my name called. I stopped and turned around,  spotting my other good friend Miranda jogging to catch up to me. 

"Hey Miranda," I greeted the girl as she finally caught up to me. Miranda had been close friends since the 9th grade when her and her family moved up from Florida. We were still as good of friends as ever now being in 12th grade. She was my closest friend besides Ryker, and one of my biggest confidants on issues that I didn't talk about with Ryker. 

As Miranda and I heading inside the crowded school, I saw the one thing I would never talk about with Ryker- Jared Sankowski. 

I've had the biggest crush on Jared since we were lab partners last in year in chemistry. He was tall with shaggy brunette hair, a square jaw, and the most beautiful smile. Of course as soon as the class was over we haven't talked, but I was still hopelessly infatuated. I would never dare talk to Ryker about him, he would only tease me and ask me a million questions, so that's what I turned to Miranda for. 

"Earth to Bea!" Miranda said, swiping her hand in front of my face. 

I shook my head, my mind freeing me from my little drool session. "Sorry." I apologized sheepishly. 

Miranda chuckled, "It's okay. I think you should just talk to him." She said, knowing who I was distracted by. 

I shook my head, "Are you crazy? That's terrifying." I said. 

Miranda threw her arm around my shoulders, "It's your crush, but you do what you want."

I nodded, glancing back one last time at Jared before following Miranda down the hall to homeroom. 

The Constant Playlist

Mary's Song (Oh My My My)- Taylor Swift

All The Small Things- Blink-182

Sleeping With A Friend- Neon Trees

Lucky- Jason Mraz featuring Colbie Caillat

You Belong With Me- Taylor Swift

Head Over Feet- Alanis Morrisette

Can't Fight This Feeling- REO Speed Wagon or Glee Cast Version

Training Wheels- Melanie Martinez

Closer- Tegan and Sara

Girls Like You- The Naked and Famous

The Only Exception- Paramore

AN: I don't own Jeep! 

AN: Hello everyone! I am so glad to be back! I'm sorry it's been so long since I last published something but life has been crazy! College and work has been taking up a lot of time. However, I am very excited about this book and look forward to seeing your responses. I hope to get at least a chapter up a week. 

Thanks for reading! :)