Chapter 35

AN: I don't own Sprite

BEA POV

As soon as I saw those two envelopes, I sprinted inside the house and ripped them open. My heart was thudding hard as I unfolded both, scared of what I might see. To my, and my heart's, relief I saw two congratulations in the letters, one from an instate university and the other from the one out of state. I jumped up and down in joy and quickly called both my parents to tell them the news. 

After talking with both of them, and crying a little bit with Mom, I quickly dialed Ryker's number, hoping I had caught him on his break. 

"Hey baby". He greeted. 

My heart fluttered at the name, making my smile even larger. "I got two college letters today..." I said trying to make my voice seem normal. 

"And? C'mon Bea spill it!" He said impatiently. 

"I got into both!" I shouted. 

"Bea! I'm so proud of you honey! I knew you would get in anywhere you applied. But now that you are officially relieved, I can also say I got into a school today too." 

"Where? What? Why didn't you tell me earlier?" I said quickly

I heard him chuckle one the phone. "I didn't tell you because I know how worried you were since you hadn't hear back yet. I got into Wayland University." 

"That's where I got in!" 

"Well we should celebrate then. How about this Friday night? We'll get dinner and take a walk and maybe other stuff..." He said. 

I could feel my face flush and my heart thud. "That sounds wonderful." 

"Great, my breaks almost up, so I should get going but I'll see you in the morning." 

"Okay, bye." I said hanging up. 

As soon as I hung up, I heard the front door open and shut, with two voices. I headed out of my room downstairs. It was both my parents walking in chatting animatedly between each other. 

Dad was still living at an apartment the next town over so we were still kind of in this in-between phase. He was doing really well and I really believed that this time his sobriety would stick. I just wasn't sure where Mom and Dad's marriage stood. They got along still, but he still wasn't living at home. 

"You're home early," I commented as I landed downstairs where they were both hanging up their coats. 

"Well we wanted to take you out tonight for dinner!" Mom said excitedly. 

"You don't have to do that" I said. 

Mom went over and squeezed my shoulders, "Yes we do. You got into college! Two colleges in fact! That is something that needs to be honored." She said with a huge smile on her face. 

"We are so proud of you Bumble Bee" Dad added.  

"Thanks." I said shyly. 

"Let's go eat!" 

---BREAK---

"Excuse me," I heard a voice say as they stepped around me. 

My parents and I were at a local Italian restaurant for dinner to celebrate my acceptance. The restaurant was crowded but we quickly were seated at a small round table. 

Within a couple of minutes of being seated a tall red headed woman appeared at our table. "Hello, my name is Kay and I'll be your server tonight. Can I start the adults with a sample of our white wine?" She asked. 

I felt my stomach drop and I couldn't help but sneak a peek at Dad. Mom quickly shook her head no and I could feel the tension in the air. 

"No thanks I'll just get a sprite." Dad answered, setting my heart back to normal rhythm. 

Kay quickly scribbled our orders down and walked away. 

Dad then looked at Mom and back to me. "Beatrix we are so proud of you and the woman you've become. You're smart, hardworking, kind, compassionate, funny, sweet, and beautiful. We know you are going to go so far in life, and we want to celebrate. But first your mother and I wanted to talk to you about something' he paused to look at Mom before continuing, 'We wanted to see how you would feel about me moving back home. I know I hurt you, Heath, and your mother and I will spend the rest of my life trying to make it up to you, but I am really feeling better and would love to be home again. But if you aren't comfortable with that, don't feel afraid to say so". 

I paused for a moment. This school year has been a whirlwind and it feels like it's been years since that night that Mom and I left for Heath's. Dad was a different man. His face was brighter, he was more alert, he was positive, and he had a new job. This was the Dad I loved and wanted home, so the choice was easy. "Of course, I would love to have you home Dad." I said with a genuine smile. 

Dad's entire face lit up and Mom's face dropped in relief. "Really Bumble Bee? You're sure?" He asked gently. 

I nodded, "I'm positive. It would be great." 

He smiled and stood up and walked to my side to hug me, placing a kiss on my hair. "Thank you" He whispered. My heart swelled, we were finally going to be whole again.