Chapter 3

BEA POV

Dad came home late last night. I was asleep when I heard the front door slam shut. Then I heard a pot crash and thuds. I sighed and pulled the covers all the way over my head, trying to block out the sounds he made. 

I could only hope that Mom and him were too tired to start arguing, so that I could try and get some sleep. 

----

RYKER POV

The next day at school flew by. I was quite surprised when Bea had texted me the night before but I was excited she was coming. She was quiet all day and looked tired but I didn't push her. 

"So, I'll pick you up at 7?" I asked Bea after I parked outside her house later that day. 

She nodded, "Sounds good." She replied quietly, looking down at her hands. 

She went to hop out when I grabbed her wrist, "You okay Bea?" I asked. 

A huge smile stretched across her face, "Yep, just trying to not overthink this party tonight." She said. 

"Don't worry about it. It will be fun, I promise." I assured her. 

She nodded, "I'll see you tonight." She responded, sliding out of my car. 

BEA POV

I felt bad for lying to Ryker. Yes part of me was worried for the party tonight, it wasn't really my scene, but that wasn't what was really bothering me. It was last night with my parents. When my Dad returned home it wasn't quiet like I had hoped, instead there was more arguing and yelling. 

I got about an hours worth of sleep in total and I was exhausted, but I knew I needed to get out of the house tonight so I agreed to go to the party tonight. 

I was currently standing in front of my mirror trying to decide what to wear. I'd been to a couple of parties before, but I still wanted to make sure I dress appropriately for tonight. 

"Bea!" I heard my father call. 

"In my room!"

A moment later my door creaked open. "Hey Bumble Bee." He greeted softly. I smiled at the childhood nickname. "Going out tonight?" He asked as he leaned against my doorway. 

I nodded, "Ryker invited me to a party." I replied, looking at my closet. 

Dad was sober which I was glad about, it was rare these days. "That sounds fun." He commented. 

I gave him a smile, "If only I could find something to wear." I said, shoving hangers back and forth, quickly dismissing multiple items. 

"You look nice in anything Bea." 

I smiled, "Thanks Dad."

 "You don't need to be impressing anyone anyways. You're still my little girl, you don't need to be going out on dates." He said with protectiveness. 

My heart soared a bit at the burst of parental care my father was displaying, but my mind knew better. 'It won't last,' my subconscious reminded me. "Well I should probably get ready." I said, standing up a little straighter. 

He was caught off guard, and something flashed across his face. "Okay." He strolled over and gave me a kiss on the top of my forehead. "Have a good time tonight okay? Call me if you need me." He said. 

I nodded, "Thanks Dad." I replied. 

----BREAK---

BEA POV