Chapter 11

RYKER POV

I was nervous about how to approach Bea. I really fucked up. But I was determined to get back into good graces with my best friend. 

I figured apologizing at home was best so I walked to her house Saturday morning. It was fairly early so I figured she'd be awake and at home, but when I got there, no one was home. 

I scratched my head. It was only 8 a.m. where could she and her parents be?

BEA POV

I woke up the next morning in a room that was unrecognizable. The walls were a beige color like my own room but the bed I was in was about two times bigger than my own. The furniture was a dark mahogany color which also told me it was a different room. I sat up slowly and felt an ache in my back and ribs as I did. 

I was in the same clothes as last night. There was a huge floor to ceiling window. I pulled back the curtains and looked outside. It was bright out with the sun clearly shining. The yard was green and suddenly it connected to me where I was. I was at my brother Heath's house which was about two and half hours aways from home. 

But I didn't remember how I got here or really what happened after I approached my Dad. 

I needed to know what happened. I opened the door and quickly padded downstairs. 

"Auntie Bea!" I heard two voices yell followed by the sight of two little girls sprinting towards me. I kneeled down and opened my arms wide for my twin six year old nieces to jump into my arms. It made my back and ribs sting more, but it was worth it for them. 

"I missed you girls so much." I said, kissing the top of each of their heads. 

"Girls why don't you give Aunt Bea some room to breath." A voice that I hadn't heard in a long time say. 

"Yes daddy." The girls said in unison. 

I looked up and saw Heath for the first time in a while. "Heath." I said quietly.

"Beatrix." 

RYKER POV

Its been hours since I first went over to Bea's house with no answer. She hasn't answered any texts or calls either but I wasn't super surprised given the way I'd treated her these past couple of weeks. 

I decided that I'd walk over again and see if she was home now. 

I knocked and for a minute there was no answer. 'Maybe she still wasn't home?' I thought to myself, turning to head back home when the door slowly opened. 

"Yes?" I heard a voice behind me. I turned around and saw an exhausted looking Mr. Turner by the door. "Oh hello Ryker." He said softly as he recognized me. 

"Hey Mr. Turner. Is Bea home?" I asked. 

A sadness passed over his face. "No she's not." He said. 

"Do you know when she'll be back?" 

"No I don't. I'm sorry." He said, but it seemed like he was talking more to himself than me. He then closed the door leaving me alone. 

Something wasn't right and I needed to find out what. 

BEA POV

I couldn't believe how quickly things escalated after last night. Dad pushed me against the wall and I fell down, hence my back and rib ache. Dad was shocked realizing what he'd done and retreated to the bedroom. 

I was in a shocked dazed and Mom herded me to the car and drove us to Heath's. 

Mom, Heath's wife Jal, and I sat at the kitchen table while Heath paced quickly back and forth. "Why didn't you call me and tell me Dad had started drinking again? Especially when it started worsening?" Heath asked upsetly. 

"Because I thought I could handle it. And besides you have Jal and the girls." Mom said. 

Heath stopped pacing, "C'mon Mom, you really think I couldn't take time to help. You two are so important to me! At least you could have sent Bea with us earlier." He said. 

"He would never hurt Bea." Mom defended Dad. 

Heath's eyes almost bulged out of his head. "Mom are you joking right now? Are you seriously defending him? Look at Bea's cheek! It's still pink tinged from where Dad SLAPPED her!"

"Honey calm down." Jal said, trying to soothe my brother.

"Jal I can't. He hurt my little sister and mother. And the fact that she's defending him is blowing my mind." Heath was serious.

"I'm sorry." Mom apologized quietly. 

I quickly grabbed her hand and squeezed it. "Mom don't. You have nothing to apologize for. It's not your fault that Dad has this disease. You've protected me, you're a great Mom." I told her. 

She gave me a sad smile, "Thanks baby, but Heath's right. I needed to protect you from him earlier.' She looked up at Heath, who nodded at her, before continuing, 'That's what I'm doing from now on."

"What do you mean?" I asked. 

Heath sat down and looked at me. "Bea, we think it's best if you come live here for a while." 

I shook my head, "No I can't. North Carolina is my home, I can't leave, not during my senior year."

"I don't think you have a choice."