Chapter 28

BEA POV

"So what's been happening with you Bumble Bee?" Dad asked curiously as he took a bite of his chicken. 

I shrugged as I pushed my food with my fork. I felt a slight kick at my leg and I looked up and saw  Mom staring at me. "I mean... I'm just trying to get through this year and hopefully hear from some schools soon." I stammered. Mom's eyes were grateful and visibly relaxed. 

Dad smiled at my responding to him, "I have no doubt that you'll get in everywhere you applied to." He said sincerely. 

 "Thanks Dad." I replied, with a smile, just hoping this time he stayed good. 

RYKER POV

"So how was dinner with your parents last night?" I asked Bea as I sat down beside her on my couch. We had the house to ourselves tonight and decided to have a movie night together

"It was... okay." 

"It was just 'okay'?" I prodded. 

"Well it was awkward at first obviously but he was obviously making an effort so that was good. I just want him to be serious about being sober this time, I just don't know how many more times I can go through it with him." 

"So is he going to be living back home again with you?" 

"Actually no, at least not for now. He is renting an apartment about three towns away. He said part of the program was to make sure you can live on your own, to be less dependent on something." She responded. 

I tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear. "Well that sounds promising. He's really trying to follow the program at least." 

"You're right, I just need to stay positive." 

Bea reached for the popcorn I had made and  then put her feet on my lap, and with one swoop I pulled her onto my lap. She wrapped her arms around my neck and smiled, leaning in to kiss me. 

I pulled away for a second, " As much as I want to do that, I want to talk to you about something." I told her. 

Her face looked serious, "Is everything okay?" She asked. 

"Yes, yes, don't worry. I was just thinking about my... parents." 

"Your parents?' She looked confused for minute before realization washed over her face, "Oh those parents. What about them?"

"I think I want to meet them." 

"Really? Do you know where they are? Or do your parents know?" She asked. 

I nodded, "I do want to at least know something about them. I'm sure my parents could get information on them, but I want to do it myself, or with your help." 

Her face looked concerned, "Ryk, maybe you should ask your parents for their help. This could get complicated and very messy. You have no clue who your birth parents are. I don't want you to get hurt." 

I stiffened a bit, "I can take care of myself, they're not gonna attack me."

She cupped my cheek, "That's not the kind of hurt I'm talking about."

"Bea, I need to do this. I've gotta know, and on my turns. Please say you'll help me." 

"Of course I will. Let's find your birth parents."