Chapter 27

BEA POV

"C'mon Bea, it's time to go! We have to pick up your father in thirty minutes!" Mom called from the bottom of the stairs. 

"Coming!" I yelled back.

Today was the day that Dad was finally coming home. I didn't know how I felt about it, I was happy that Dad was making enough progress to come home and also it would be good to see him again, but at the same time there was so many unanswered questions. 

Was he getting better really? Would he start drinking again? Would he start fights again against Mom and I? Would Mom and Dad split up, or try again? 

These questions worried me but all I could do was wait and see. My phone then buzzed, clearing my mind for a moment. 

Ryker: I had a great time with you yesterday! I'm so lucky to have you in my life Bea. And as for today, just breathe and relax, this is your Dad and you love him. If you need anything, I'm just a phone call away.

I smiled at his text, he always knew me and what I was thinking. Last night went wonderfully and was pretty much the best Valentine's Day I could possibly imagine. After we spent some time in the gorgeous setup that Ryker made, he went back to his house so we could both get ready for the dance. 

The dance was fun as we spent the night dancing away and as it wrapped up, the two of us took a midnight drive around town before he dropped me off at home. We kept the night clean, but the tension was there. 

I quickly shook myself out of my day dream and tied my hair in a ponytail before heading downstairs to head out with Mom. 

------------------

"So what are you feeling right now?" My mom asked as we drove to the facility to pick up Dad. 

"Nervous mostly." I answered honestly, looking at her as she concentrated on the road. 

"Nervous? What are you nervous about the most?" She asked me, peeking at me out of the corner of her eye. 

"I'm just scared that he's gonna drink again, that things are going to be bad again." 

She squeezed my hand tightly. "Things will never be that bad for you again. If this time really didn't help your father, though I believe it did, then we will get out of the situation immediately. I never want you to be in a toxic environment like that again." 

"You did good Mom, you took care of me. Please don't feel guilty." 

She gave me a sad smile, and I could tell she felt like she didn't protect me enough from when Dad's drinking was at it's worst, but I knew she did.

Mom took a deep breath, "On a better note, how did Valentine's Day go for you and Ryker? Did you like how he set up the house?" 

My heart melted again and I couldn't help the smile that spread across my face just thinking about yesterday. "It was wonderful. All that time and effort he put into everything was so sweet. I can't believe all the photos he dug up, some of them were so old."

"I helped him with that. He called me a few weeks ago and asked if I had any pictures of the two of you from when you were younger." Mom said with a smile.

"And you didn't tell me about it?!"

"I didn't want to ruin his surprise for you. He was very sweet and wanted to make you happy." 

I smiled, toying with the necklace I was wearing. "He's one of a kind, I'm happy to have him." 

She turned to me and squeezed my hand, "Well you hold onto him, you two have something good. But never settle for less than you deserve, and if things go south and aren't getting better, then you need to do what's best for you. Look at me; I love your father, but there are times where I know I have just been settling for being treated as less."

We then pulled into the driveway of the rehab facility as Mom grew quiet again. She stopped the car and turned to me. "Are you sure you're okay with everything?" 

I nodded, "Do you think he's ready Mom? Do you think he's really done drinking?" 

She gave me a smile that was full of hope. "I think so, I really think this time is it." 

The look on her face was so optimistic, she appeared so desperate for it to be true. I took a deep breath and unbuckled my seatbelt. "Then let's get in there and bring him home.".