Chapter 26

BEA POV

Ryker didn't show up to school until last period. In the middle of last period to be exact. It was calculus class and Ryker tried to slide in smoothly but Mrs. Weathers knew everything that happened in her class.  

"Mr. Adams I applaud the attempt to sneak in but you have not succeeded. Detention after school Monday." She said, without even turning away from the board. 

I bit my cheek to keep from laughing as he slid in the seat next to me. 

"Where were you?" I whispered. 

"You'll see." He whispered back with a wink. 

RYKER POV

After spending practically the whole school day getting the surprise ready, I finally finished. Her living room was decked out in pink peonies, Bea's favorite flower. I strung little lightbulbs from the ceiling and hung up photos of us from all our years from the ceiling. 

After our last class ended, Bea has been unable to stop asking me a thousand different questions, but I wouldn't budge. I wanted it to be a surprise for her and I wanted to capture the look on her face. 

"Please baby." She begged, dragging out the 'please'. 

I smiled, "Nope. But I do like being called "baby"." I winked, squeezing her but gently. 

She gave a small pout but hopped into my car without a fuss. I started the car and pulled out the parking lot and headed toward our street. I watched Bea out of the corner of my eye, she was tapping her foot along to the radio and mouthing the words, her fingers twirling her hair. I couldn't believe how different my attitude toward relationships had changed since last year at this time. Last year I was hooking up with some girl, being careful to be a little aloof so she didn't expect anything special for Valentine's Day. Now here I was, just 365 days later and I went all out for the holiday I once despised. I just wanted to do anything I could to see Bea smile and make her feel loved. 

Bea's mother was out for the rest of the day so I pulled straight into her driveway instead of just pulling in front like I normally did. She noticed this change and squeezed my thigh. "Ryker Adams what did you do?" A hint of an excited smile tugged at her mouth, threatening to fully come out. 

I gave her a sly grin, grabbing her hand and kissing it. "Let me show you."

BEA POV

Anticipation was bubbling up in me like boiling water. I just wanted to sprint to that front door and see what was obviously inside. I laced my fingers with Ryker and let him lead me into my own house. 

"Close your eyes." He ordered as he slowly opened the front door. 

I closed them and he pulled me inside slowly. 

"Okay, you can open them."

Slowly my eyes opened up to an array of lights. I quickly blinked to make sure I was awake. My living room and the hallway were glowing from dozens and dozens of adorable stringy lights hanging from the ceiling. Peonies were lined up on the floor, and my favorite part was the pictures. There were pictures from every stage of our life together- it paid to have moms who were best friends. Pictures of us as babies, elementary school friends, middle schoolers, and pictures of us now, even as a new couple. 

The room was surrounded by flowers and photos, it was overwhelming and sweet all in one.

"Oh Ryker, I can't believe you did all this." I gushed, turning around to face him. As I turned around I faced Ryker with a bouquet of even more pink peonies. 

"I wanted to make this day special for you. I've never felt this way about anyone before and I wanted to mark this moment." 

I grabbed his hand, "You are one of a kind Ryker. I love you." 

"I love you too Bea, and I always have, Happy Valentine's Day."