Chapter 32

RYKER POV

The house on the inside was large and open, with lots of light. Toys and clothes were scattered on the floor, showing that the home was well lived in and busy.

"Please excuse the mess of the house. Kids.." The woman, who introduced herself as Sharon, said awkwardly.

Bea and I followed silently belong her and Steven as they led us into their living room. "Please sit. Can I get you anything to drink or eat?" Sharon asked.

"No thanks," I replied for the both of us.

The two sat across from us and for a moment we just stared at each other. Immediately I could see some similarities between Sharon, Steven, and I. My eyes on Sharon, and the short brunette hair on Steven.

"So..." Sharon started. "I'm guessing you're here for some answers and a story." She said.

I nodded, too nervous to speak, my heart beating as fast as it could.

"Well, we were dating for about, oh, 1 year when Sharon got pregnant with you. We were seniors in high school, getting ready to go off to college, a baby was not part of the plan.'

I could feel my heart thud and Bea squeezing my hand, making me feel a little bit better.

'So we decided that we were going to have you and give you up for adoption, saving having kids until we were ready and wanted them. We just wanted to live our young lives first and save kids for later." Steven explained, his eyes shifting between his hands and Sharon.

I couldn't help but feel a little hurt at just how unwanted they made me seem in their telling of the story. But I still had things I needed to ask.

"So why haven't you contacted me?" I asked.

"Well we, as a part of the adoption contract, decided to make it a closed adoption. We decided that we needed to move on with our lives and close that chapter if we wanted to get what we, pre-pregnancy, wanted out of our lives. We knew that when you were 18 then you could choose whether you wanted to see us." Sharon explained.

I knew life wasn't like the movies. Sharon and Steven weren't going to open the door to their home and weep as they saw their first son from years ago for the first time since his birth. We weren't going to become best friends or do Christmas together. I just never expected them to be so casual, so nonchalant about me.

"So I'm just a chapter?" I asked, the hurt in my voice evident.

"Look, Ryker, this happened a long time ago. We were kids and now we're adults. It is a part of our life that happened, it didn't change our lives but was nearly a blip in our timelines."

"So that's all I am? A fucking 'blip' in your lives? I'm your son for fuck's sake!" I shouted, standing up.

"Ryk.." I heard Bea whisper. I ignored her, I was too fired up.

"That's enough here. Our kids are here and I won't tolerate that language here." Steven said steely.

"I'm your kid." I whispered. Neither of them looked me in the eyes and I could tell it was time for me to go.

I headed for the door, with Bea behind me. As I opened the door, I turned around one more time, "One more question... did you ever even think of me? Even just once?"

I didn't wait for an answer, I just walked out, slamming the door behind me.

----BREAK-----

BEA'S POV

The ride home was silent. Ryker's knuckles were white from how hard he was gripping the steering wheel. I was unsure of what to act, there was an edge to Ryker's mood right now and I didn't want to tip him over it.

The drive home both dragged and flew and soon enough we were parked in front of Ryker's home.

Neither of his parents' cars were in his driveway so he pulled up and hopped out quickly. I followed hot on his trail, shutting the door behind me.

I followed him into his living room, waiting to see what he'd do next. Suddenly he picked up a vase with flowers in it and threw it against the wall with such force that you could hear every piece of the vase break off.

Instead of attending to the vase I walked over slowly to Ryker. I just grabbed him in my arms, enveloping his large body in my arms. He just curled into my body and his body started shaking, silent sobs taking over him.

I just held him tight, making sure he knew that I wasn't going anywhere.