Chapter 2

AN: Language 

BEA POV

The day was moving fairly quickly and now it was already lunchtime. Miranda and I sat down at our usual table with a few of our other friends Trey, Carly, Jules, Gabe, and Chris. Miranda was closer with them then I was, but I still enjoyed their company. 

Ryker usually sat with us but he wasn't here yet. I checked my phone for any messages from him but there was nothing there. 

I took a bite out of my sandwich when I felt a presence take the seat next to me on my left. It was Ryker. "Hey can I borrow some money?" He asked. 

"No." I replied. 

He shot me a look. "C'mon Bea please?" He asked, dragging out the word 'please'. I sighed and dug in to my backpack and pulled out my wallet, handing him a $10 bill. His eyes lit up and he quickly plucked the dollar from my hand before popping up and jogging to the lunch line. 

Ryker returned a minute later with a tray of food and took the same seat. He quickly dug into his own sandwich, almost devouring the whole thing in one bite. "Okay, can you quiz me now?" He asked, his mouth full. 

I rolled my eyes. "You're gross. Did you study at all during the day?" I asked. We had four classes together but today's class schedule rotation meant we only had two classes today, English and Calculus which was next. 

Ryker grinned and shook his head. "So will you quiz me?" He asked again. 

I was pretty much done with my lunch so I nodded and pulled out my study guide and textbook. "Okay, so what is the formula for problem 13 from the study guide?" I asked. 

-------------------

RYKER POV

"I totally failed that quiz. Fuck!" I cursed as Bea and I walked out of Calculus class. 

"I'm sure you did fine." Bea assures me. 

I rolled my eyes, "I forgot three formulas!" I exclaimed. At least the school day was finally over and I could home. 

Bea and I headed out of the school and back to my car. "So are you coming to the party tomorrow night?" I asked Bea as we pulled out of the parking lot. 

She was quiet for a minute. "I don't know..." She trailed off, turning up the volume on the radio. 

I turned the radio off completely. "Hey!" She protested. 

"No Bea, you always do this. You always bail out on parties and gatherings like these." I said to her. She was always to hang out with just me or in small groups, but when it came to parties and larger events she never went and I hated it. 

"Because I don't like parties." She said. "Why do you care so much if I come or not anyway, you always end up having a ton of fun and meet some new girl." Bea continued, looking out the window. 

"I care because you're my best friend and nothing is as fun when you're not around." I answered honestly. By this point we were pulling up our street where I saw both of our moms talking closely in front of Bea's house. 

I stopped the car in front of her house. "Bea, promise me you'll at least think about going tomorrow. It will be a lot of fun!" I said. 

She nodded, "I'll think about it." She said. I could tell she was genuine so I was satisfied. 

Bea and I both hopped out of the car. "Hey guys, how was school?" My mom asked the two of us. 

"It was good, we had a tough calculus quiz." I replied. 

"Which I'm sure Bea studied for but you somehow didn't." Mom guessed jokingly, causing Bea, Mom, and I to laugh because we all knew it was true. Mrs. Turner smiled but it looked forced and didn't quite reach her eyes. Bea was also pretty quiet, so I thought I'd try to break the awkward. 

"So what were you two ladies discussing?" I asked. Bea looked curious as well, waiting for an answer. 

Mom and Mrs. Turner exchanged looks that told me something was up. "Nothing, just discussing some neighborhood gossip." Mom replied. I knew it wasn't the whole truth, but something in the looks of both moms told me to drop it. 

Bea was staring down at her shoes. 

"Mom do you want a ride home?" I asked, trying to get out of this awkward situation. 

Mom nodded, "Sure."

"I'll see you tomorrow Bea." I said, squeezing her shoulders supportingly. 

"Ok, see you later Ryker." She said softly. 

I walked around the car to the driver's seat, driving away even though something inside me told me that Bea needed me. 

----

BEA POV

I walked into the house silently, expecting what I found. Things were on the floor and there was disarray of all the decorations. 

"Where's Dad?" I asked, even though I knew the answer. 

"Umm he went on a last minute business trip." Mom lied breezily. I sighed and headed up to my room, probably the only untouched room in the house. 

I paced back and forth for a few minutes until I finally decided what I wanted to do. 

RYKER POV

I was sitting at my desk doing homework when my phone buzzed. 

It was a text from Bea. 

Bea: I'm in for tomorrow. 

AN: Sorry for such a short chapter, but 1) I wanted to get something out. 2) This chapter is setting up for more.