Three

"Should we open the doors now?"

JYP was so out of it that he didn't hear the question. He had his eyes fixed on the two boys that were now in the room.

A female staff tapped him on his shoulders, "Should we let the fans in now? It's time already."

"Oh yes. Do they have everything fixed for the boys?"

"Yes, well except Jae."

JYP moved towards the door while glaring at the boys and they felt very uncomfortable.

"Just go get ready," Brian said, smiling at Jae even though he was completely ignored.

It was still awkward but no one was questioning Jae about where he had gone to.

They would clear their throats occasionally, scratch the sides of their heads, tap with their feet, anything that would prevent silence.

"Woah there's a lot this time." Dowoon said sticking his head out to get a peek at the audience who had filled the auditorium.

"Okay guys. We're getting called up soon," Sungjin started, "no pressure but play passionately."

"DAY6 FIGHTING!!" They gathered around with a loud cheer and then some clapping followed.

Everyone in the room was now waiting for the mc to invite the group on stage.

All five members stood in a file from oldest to youngest, only that Sungjin was in front of Jae. When they were called up they walked bowing slightly all the way to where they had to stand.

The auditorium was filled with loud screams and cheers.

The lights went out and the hall became silent for a few seconds until the sounds of the drums could be heard. The cheering started again but this time it was their fan chants.

Park Sungjin Park Jaehyung Kang Younghyun Kim Wonpil Yoon Dowoon...

Jae started off good. His voice was soft and delicate as usual but he was slow. Brian noticed and kept looking at him.

As soon as the showcase was over and the boys had heard the usual speech from JYP, Jae silently left the room. He did it quickly to avoid attention but Brian followed him.

"Hyung." He called but Jae kept walking pretending not to hear. "JAE." This time Brian was running after him. He blocked him from walking any further and held his wrist.

"Let go." The older one forcefully wiggled his hand free from Brian's, accidentally hitting him in the face. "Crap. That wasn't on purpose. A-Are you okay?" He asked tilting his head to look at Brian's bleeding nose. His eyes looked apologetic as he caressed Brian's cheeks like he was a little child.

"I'm fine."

"Here." He put his hand out for him to hold. "Let's go clean that up."

The two boys walked to the restroom down the hallway and as soon as they got there, Jae got some tissue. He wet and twisted it a little. "Put this in... it should stop the bleeding."

"Thanks." Brian took it from his hand and did as he had suggested. He would occasionally look at Jae and then pull his head back to the same position it was in. There was awkward silence. Jae leaned his body against the sink with his head down.

A phone started ringing to break the silence and Brian smiled out of relief.

"Hyung it's not mine." He said after feeling the pocket of his pants.

Jae was still staring at the wall in front of him. He waved his hand in front of his face.

"Huh?"

"It's yours. Your phone is ringing. You didn't hear it?"

"Oh crap." He took it out of his jacket and gestured with his hand to tell Brian he was stepping out to answer it. The younger one nodded and pulled his head back sticking more tissue into his nose.

There was something off about Jae privately speaking to someone, Brian thought as he tiptoed to the door to eavesdrop.

"...yes I have it. I'm so sorry you had to wait for nothing, things got messy and I had to go back in. You don't have to apologize for being late. Yes, you sent it to me the first time. Wait I actually need a ride. Alright I'm hanging up. Sleep tight."

Brian went back to where he was standing initially to wait for Jae. "Who was that?" He asked sounding oblivious.

"Huh? Uh.. Just family." Jae tried to sound comfortable. He tapped on his pants with his fingers and started to whistle. "Look, can you cover for me at practice tomorrow? I need to take care of some things." He finally blurted sounding desperate.

"Sure but where are you going?" Brian turned on the water and looked at Jae's face in the mirror as he asked.

"What does that have to do with you??" The older one snapped.

"Bro if I'm gonna help you, I should at least know." He walked out of the restroom leaving Jae behind then he texted wonpil:

please cover for me at practice tomorrow.

------

Thanks for reading! <3