Prologue and Chapter One

Prologue:

People like us in the world aren't appreciated at all... What type of people you ask? Humans with unatural gifts. But we have been labeled something different by society: Mutants.

The government has special places where they like to keep us. Sort of like prisons but much much higher ranked, and stocked with security and all these big bad government toys. And it's a place like this that started everything.

Chapter One: Arrival

Aaron's POV

The armored car I was in stopped at the wired gate. Actually it's the fourth gate we've stopped at, but you can't be too careful I guess. I actually have no idea where I am... but in about two minutes I think I'll have a pretty good idea.

Three security guards usher me out of the vehicle, straight into what seemed to be a rec yard. Similar to the ones in the prison movies, except there's only one basketball hoop and a picnic bench. I attempt to blow some of my blond hair out of my eyes since my hands are currently in cuffs. It seems that all the "inmates" are around 14 to 20 years old... and they all have learned how to personalize the dress code, which is an orange jump suit. Basically what criminals wear in all those movies. From how they personalized it I can tell who would be the sluts, jocks, and just plain weirdos if this was a highschool. The inmates are spread out, but a large group are gathered around the bench.

One of the guards steps forward. They have all the neccesities in a neat tool belt secured around their waist: a tazer, some kind of beating stick, flashlight, cuffs, and... a gun.

"I'll take him from here fellas." The guard states, his dark brown eyes glaring at me.

"Ya sure Jack? Have ya heard what this one did?" One if the guards holding me says. Jack smirks, shifting his stance.

"Of course I can." He dismisses the other guards and they drive away. Jack uncuffs me and pushes me forward. "Alright ya worthless piece of shit, go play with your own kind." I stand awkwardly a few feet away from him and rub my wrists. Don't draw attention to yourself Aaron. Everyone is looking at me. Damnit. Well, at least no one is laughing. In fact, a lot of them look scared.

"Hey jackass," Just then the people surrounding the bench part like it was rehearsed, revealing a badass looking girl with her orange jumper zipped down to her waist, leaving her torso only to be covered by a black tank top, "why don't you leave the nice boy alone and go play with your friends." She has this smirk on her face as she makes her way towards me. Her bright green eyes stare straight at the guy, giving him a threatening look. She brushes past me as she stands face to face with Jack.

"Now Jade... let's not make trouble..." Jack says, stepping back uncomfortably.

"You're just saying that 'cause you're out numbered. Now walk away and leave us be for a bit. Hmm?" Jade turns to me, "You'll be rooming with me kid." And with that, she walks away, her braided hair sways from side to side. I realize I should catch up to her... and pretty soon I'm willingly walking into a jail cell.

Jade's POV

I could feel the boy's blue eyes staring at me as I walk into my cell. I wish I could explain everything, but not right now... now isn't a good time. I turn to face him, "What's your name, kid?" He's taken back by this, he's too focused on me.

"A-Aaron..."

"Hi Aaron, I'm Jade," I try to add a hint of kindness to my voice, because this is about the only time he'll hear it. I listen to myself and realize that I probably sound condecsending. Aaron isn't paying attention, he's scanning the cell. There is a sink, bunk beds, and... that's it. "Bathrooms are down the hall in case you were wondering."

"Oh... Thanks." He is still avoiding my glance.

"Listen Aaron," I take a step closer to him, "I know you don't want to be here, no one does, but you are. I don't care if you don't want to talk to me but if there's anyone here you can trust, I promise you, that person is me." Now I'm face to face with him, he's taller so I have to look up at him. "I'll explain everything to you tomorrow... top bunk is mine." And with that I climb up to my bed. I can hear Aaron's heavy breathing from the bottom bunk. Careful now Jade, I tell myself, you aren't alone anymore. Don't make a scene. It's been four years since I've had a roommate. No one is ever placed with me, the warden and his little puppets make sure to keep me isolated. I sigh and turn to face the wall. Hopefully this boy can play it smart, hopefully he has a good temper. I don't know if I can lose another...

The guards call lights out, and everything goes dark.