Chapter 31

My jaw slightly dropped. It had been so long since I really looked at him. He looked sexy. The suit fit him perfectly, but the top buttons of the shirt were undone and the tie was loose around his neck. I could just imagine all his muscles underneath that suit. I didn’t want Chris to be right, but just looking at Grayson I wanted to jump him. The extra hormones from pregnancy weren’t helping my case. After I perved out a bit, my eyes made my way up to his, he was looking directly at the bump Chris’ hands were outlining.

My smile slowly disappeared. Chris stood up with his stupid smile still huge.

Grayson’s blue eyes flickered between Chris and me. His eyes turned amber at the quickest rate I’ve ever seen. All Grayson had to do was blink once and they went from blue to amber.

He was mad. I had to know why, maybe because I hadn’t told him. So I took down my shield.

Grayson was so mad; irrationally furious would be a better description for the anger coming from him in waves. He’d past the point where he could control his wolf anymore. He thought the baby was someone I hooked up with while I was gone. He thought I betrayed him, which instantly made me angry.

Chris took a step towards Grayson, heart set on congratulating him on the baby. Chris wasn’t aware that Grayson had no idea I was pregnant.

Grayson was ready to attack Chris for supporting the idea of me having another man’s child.  

Before Chris could put a foot down closer to Grayson, I forced him behind me.

“What are you doing Casey?” Chris asked confused as he tried to steady himself.

“He didn’t know.” I whispered. I was afraid.

Chris’ confusion hit a new level. I had been holding out on Grayson. That hurt Chris. That made him mad at me, disappointed in me. I shouldn’t have hidden the fact that I was pregnant from anyone in the pack, let alone Grayson, the baby’s father.

“You need to stay behind me Chris. He won’t go after you if I’m in the way.” I said just above a whisper. My throat felt dry.

“You can’t take him.” Chris sounded grumpy. “Not in your condition.”

I glared at him over my shoulder. “You act like I’m incapable of taking care of myself.”

He nodded, “Not against a werewolf.”

“It’s Grayson.” He both knew he wouldn’t hurt me…physically.

“That’s not Grayson. That’s his wolf.” Chris put his hand on my shoulder. “Gray isn’t like Grayson.”

The amber eyes looked at the hand on my shoulder and growled. Chris took his hand off of me and backed away from me. Chris didn’t go far though. He stayed close enough that he could grab me and pull me away if he needed to.

Grayson’s wolf scared Chris.

But Chris would stay to get me away from Grayson, or at least hold him back long enough for me to get away.

“You call Grayson’s wolf Gray?”

Chris nodded. “Yes.”

The persistent rumbling from Grayson… well Gray, stopped.

“You protect her?” Gray’s voice was a rumble, the wolf didn’t keep the power out of his voice. He was definitely letting everyone know who he thought was in charge.

Chris looked down, “Someone has to.”

Chris flinched when Gray growled.

I kept a buffer between Gray and me. I needed to keep him away from Chris. He wanted to rip Chris’ head off, no matter what the consequences.