Chapter 27

Chris stood up. “We need to get going before they all leave.”

I nodded and headed to the door. He shook his head, “Nah uh. You go get a jacket and beanie on. You’re going to get frozen from wind chill.”

I rolled my eyes and stole a big jacket from the closet. I don’t know whose it is, but it was mine for the time being. I reluctantly put on the beanie and headed out to Chris. He only had a sweatshirt to protect him from the cold. He was carrying a backpack.

“Why don’t you get a jacket?” I complained.

“I’m a werewolf. I could be in my birthday suit and I wouldn’t freeze in the snow.”

I stuck my tongue out at him.

“Put this on.” He threw me the backpack. I put it on without any questions. He crouched down, “Get on.” I jumped onto his back and tried to knock him over. I wasn’t successful. “Hold on tight. If your nose starts to freeze, hide your face in my neck. Brian will have my ass if you get frostbite.”

I smiled and nodded, “Fine. Go.”

Chris was right about the wind chill. I was grateful that he made me put on that jacket. I even took him up on his offer of hiding my face in his neck. My nose was frozen and his neck was so warm. My legs were the only part of me that was cold though. All I had on was jeans.

There were five wolves and a werewolf in human form staring at us when we arrived. They recognized Chris and settled their eyes on me. These guys must not have met me yet.

Chris sighed, “She’s fine. Connor was her brother.”

I sighed. I hated when they talk about Connor in the past tense. It made everything so final. Not like the bundled up body wasn’t enough to make it final.

“Regardless of the circumstances, it’s good to finally meet you Casey. I’m Alex.”

I couldn’t respond to what he said. It’s like his words just flew right past me. I could only stare at the bundle that my brother’s in.

“What’s with the pyre?” Chris said confused.

“They changed it from a burial to this.”

“They’re going to burn him instead?”

The man nodded, “Something about making sure the rogues couldn’t get to his body.”

Chris nodded. I felt him look at me, but I couldn’t look back. I was waiting for a sign.

A movement. A twitch.

Something to tell me that this was just some horrible joke.