Chapter 25

When I woke up, I saw Stephan. He looked stressed out. His usual tidy hair was a mess. His skin was a pale color I’d never seen before. His eyes looked sunken in. The clothes he was wearing were baggy because they weren’t his. I recognized the shirt as Grayson’s.

I hissed at the stinging pain when I tried to sit up.

“You should keep still.” Stephan muttered, not looking up at me.

I rolled my eyes, “Yes. Thank you for that ground breaking news.” Sarcasm dripped off my words.

He smiled, “Pain makes you a pleasure.”

“Yea, well, I’m too tough for pain killers.” I lied sarcastically.

He looked up at me, “You’re too something for pain killers.”

He knew. “What do you know?” I narrowed my eyes at him.

He smirked. “I know everything sweet cheeks.”

“Did you tattle?” I’d kill him if he tattled and he knew it.

He smiled. “No. Your secret is safe with me.”

I nodded, “Good.” I looked around. We were definitely in my room. Which meant Stephan was in the pack house.

“Why are you here anyway?”

“I’m seeing how my friend is recovering from such an ordeal.” He feigned hurt.

“I know why you are here. I want to know why they are letting you stay here.”

“Ah. That.” He stood up and walked to the foot of my bed. “The acting alpha has granted me access to the property until further notice.”

“You sound like you’re reading that out of a book.”

He shrugged. “I’m just repeating what I was told.”

A wave of agony washed through me. Acting alpha meant that the previous alpha was dead. Which meant Connor was dead. Suddenly my knee didn’t feel so bad.

“Why were you the first one there?”

Stephan sighed. “I was on my way to tell you about the rogues. A phone call wasn’t going to cut it. When you weren’t home, I had no choice but to make your pack think I was trespassing. They started chasing me so I led them to you with your scent trail.”

“You know the rogues were planning something?”

He nodded, “I came to warn you, but I was too late.”

I couldn’t stop the tears that seeped out.