Chapter 16

I flung myself into my brother’s arms. He had heard me coming, so he caught me.

“I missed you.”

He hugged me tighter for a second before releasing me, “I missed you too.”

“Why were you guys gone for so long?”

He shrugged and turned to the food grilling. “We just had to take care of some stuff.”

“What stuff?”

He sighed, “We can’t talk about this here, in front of everyone.” He motioned towards the groups of people conversing. “These are members of the pack. You should get to know some of them. You need more friends that are not the guys.”

The smell coming from the barbecue made my stomach turn. “I’m not going to drop the subject just because you don’t want to talk to me right now.”

He nodded, “I know. We’ll talk later. Just go meet a couple girls or something.”

I leaned over and looked at the grill. It wasn’t anything disgusting like I thought had to be on there. There were a lot of ribs and steaks. There were a few burgers for the wolves who weren’t as hungry, and for Amanda, Matt and me.

“It’ll be done soon. Don’t worry.” He tore off a rib and shoved it in my face. I had to cover my nose and mouth with my hand, or I’d puke. He scrunched his face at me, not please with my reaction to his cooking, “well fine then.” He shoved the food in his mouth.

There was a woman’s scream. I looked over and saw Amanda throwing a dish at Chris. Amazingly, he caught it without spilling anything.

Connor just sighed, “Don’t ever get pregnant. We can barely survive Amanda and she’s uaully calm.”

I shrugged. I never really ever considered having children. My life has never been stable enough to have a child.

“I’ll go calm her down.”

“Someone needs to.” Connor muttered, turning his attention back to the food.

Most of the pack members I met were very nice. There were a few guys that were standoffish and then there were a couple of guys that didn’t want to come near me. I could see myself being great friends with the new members like I was with the guys.

All that mattered to me was that they weren’t crazy and that they got along with everyone that I loved.

No one found out about my abilities, so no one asked anything about what I could do. I’m sure that would come up during the next few years, but I’d deal with that when I had to.

Amanda settled down once she got some food in her belly. Poor Brian was forced to wait on her or else she’d snap at random people. I stayed with her, because I didn’t, no one would. Then we’d have to deal with sad and lonely Amanda, which was much worse than angry Amanda. There would’ve been tears, and that would’ve been a mess.