Chapter 6

The next two years passed in a blur. Brian and Amanda had a little boy. They named him Matthew. He was the cutest baby when he was born; he was definitely the cutest toddler now. It took a while to get used to the changes the bite did to my face. Fortunately, that was the only change. Stephan’s bite didn’t have any lasting effects on my humanity. I hadn’t contacted Stephan since he bit me. Brian found out that he was punished for the bite. He was forever banned from the city and not allowed within 500 miles of me.

The one time I answered the phone for Connor’s call, a week or two after the drama, I wasn’t allowed to speak with Grayson. He was out of the house and didn’t want to speak with me. He was finally able to feel the hurt that came through me when he rejected me all those years ago. It wasn’t something you just forgive. I just figured that was Grayson using me when I was available for him.

I hadn’t had much contact with anyone. I’ve gotten up for work, waitressed for hours and by the time I came home I was too exhausted to have a social life. I hadn’t even really talked to my brother. I had a job as a waitress on the werewolf side of town. It was easier to just stay away from vampires or anything else that maybe lurking in this city.

"Casey!" Matt, Brian’s clone of a son, yelled as I walked into the house. He ran up to me and I tossed him in the air. The 15 month old was getting heavy.

"Where's your Daddy at?"

Matt took my hand and led me to Brian's study. He had a final to study for to get his doctorate. Matt took off running to his mother when she called for him.

"So what's the big rush that I had to come home for?"

"We're going back to the pack."

I put my hands on my hips, "Now that I'm finally comfortable here after 5 years, I have to go back?" He nodded. "What am I supposed to tell Kevin?" Kevin was my current boyfriend. I learned my lesson with vampires. Kevin’s a werewolf, a very low ranking werewolf, which meant low risk. The werewolves with higher rankings were always so much more high strung.

He shrugged, "The truth: That you're going back to be with your pack."

I sighed. I couldn't deny my pack; I made that promise to Brian a long time ago.

"When are we going back?"

"Tomorrow after my final."

I sighed and nodded. "That’s not much of a heads up. I'll be out the rest of the night. I've gotta explain this to Kevin."

He nodded and turned his attention back to studying.

Kevin's house wasn't far. It was 3 houses down. I knocked before letting myself in. I heard scurrying upstairs.

"Lazy ass." I muttered as I walked up the stairs. He was probably getting dressed since being in bed all day. I opened his door with a smile on my face.