Chapter 21

I left all the wolves in the kitchen to sort it out themselves. I forgot all about the breakfast until I came back to the kitchen. The smell of burnt food greeted me.

Everything seemed to simmer down as they all started coming into the kitchen for food. Philip took his seat back while everyone else got food and left the kitchen.

I heard some snide remarks from the guys towards Philip. He just smirked and would stare the guys down. They’d quickly retreat into the living room.

No one said anything about the little tiff between Amanda and I. We both knew that we’d work it out. We just needed some time.

Chris set his head on my shoulder as I watched the toast cook. “Sorry.” He mumbled.

I tilted my head to rest on his. “I know.”

He kissed my cheek then went to the living room with the rest of the guys. He had a bruise on his jaw in the shape of Phillip’s fist. I knew he’d have that bruise for at least a day or two. They’re fast healers, but not super speed.

I was actually feeling content. That was until Grayson girlfriend decided to join us for breakfast. I had just sat down next to Amanda at the dining table when she came in, holding a plate of food. Of course the scorn of my existence was right behind her.

I just shoved food in my mouth so I wouldn’t say anything. It was very awkward. They sat right across the table from Philip and me. I didn’t miss the scornful looks Grayson gave Philip. I also didn’t miss the gloating smile Philip was giving Grayson in return. These boys were going to be the death of me.

We didn’t really have much of a conversation for the rest of our meal. I just watched Matt’s attempt at eating. He’d much rather throw his food around than put it in his mouth.

I had to get to work soon, so instead of hanging out with everyone, I went up to my room and got ready for work. Philip stayed behind to talk to Connor when I left for work.

Work was busier than I expected it to be, but I made a good amount of money in tips. I put my keys back in the ignition and went home.

I made a quick grilled chicken salad. It was the quickest and easiest thing I could make. My back was absolutely killing me as I sat at the island.

Jack and Eddie came into the house so muddy. I shook my head looking at the footprints they were tracking.

“What?” Jack said looking at me.  He hadn’t missed my disapproving head shake. “We’re workin’ men. We make messes.”

“And you’re going to clean that up.” I mumbled before I shoveled food into my mouth.

Jack put his dirty hands on my shoulders, squeezing. It felt heavenly. Eddie quietly escaped. He was the smart one.