Chapter 8: Distant jealousy

I sit awkwardly staring at the plate in front of me as we all sit down for our family meal. Oh how fun not. I'm currently sandwiched between Chase and Xavier and a few days ago that would've been funny but ever since the party Xavier has been avoiding me like the plague and has carried on with his player ways.

He's been unnaturally cold towards me only and I try to not let it get to me however it did at first make me upset now I'm just learning to ignore it. He gently brushes his hand across my thigh and my breath hitches in my throat as I look up at him but he quickly withdraws his hand as though I've set it on fire.

Everyone else eats steak and chips with green vegetables however I'm stuck with vegetable rice and grilled chicken breast. I barely eat any of it and mum frowns at me "what's wrong honey it's not like you to be off your food" she says pointedly and I shrug watching Xavier's jaw clench and unclench slowly. I furrow my eyebrows in question as I continue to pick at my food "well how's school going for you all?" Vince asks and Lola beams "fantastic I just recently got promoted to head cheerleader" she says proudly and I scoff quietly as she finds every chance she can to touch Xavier in some way or another.

"How about you Xavier?" Vince asks as mum praises Lola endlessly and asks about the new outfits and routines. Xavier smirks slightly "top in my math class and quite high in all the rest" he says and Vince smiles at him proudly
"Oh son I really am proud of you your turning over a new leaf" he says beaming widely.

Chase tugs on my sleeve and I stoop to answer "do ya reckon we could request for the other cheerleaders to accidentally drop Lola from the top of the pyramid?" He asks and I giggle lightly as he begins to laugh fully "or hey we could always get them to throw her onto the pitch when they do that little jumping lift thing" I add and he snorts loudly causing everyone to glare at us suspiciously.

"What?" He asks innocently chewing and I have to use my hand to stifle my giggles. Chase always knows how to put a smile on my face no matter what.
***
I smile at the curly blonde boy who seems to be attacking his locker in attempt to prise it open. He must be new they only ever give that locker to new kids, it's the demon locker I know I had it when I first started "let me" I say before hitting the locker twice by the hinges. It swings open and he grins at me sheepishly from up close I can see the gentle dusting off freckles across his nose and his strong jaw. I must admit he's cute not as good looking as Xavier but wait am I really comparing him to Xavier right now?ugh.

"Thanks I'm Chris" he says and I nod shyly oh no my social awkwardness is kicking in kill me now. "Rory" I mumble and he furrows his eyebrows in confusion "oh I mean that's my name Rory and it's fine that lockers always been a pain in the ass" I say before realising that i'm rambling. He smiles at me showing of his perfect white teeth "Rory that's a strange name" he admits and I shrug
"It's short for Aurora" I reply and he smirks
"Ah like sleeping beauty?" He asks and I nod mentally cringing at that revelation. I hate when people do that. It's one of the reasons why I stick to Rory.

"So Rory you've probably of guessed that I'm new here so can you please tell me how to get to Mrs Davis' Spanish class" he asks and I can't help but giggle at the mock desperation in his voice before agreeing.

I sit down at the table with Chris as we continue to argue whether or not dark or milk chocolate is the better one. Half way during our argument I notice Xavier glaring at me and Chris but before I can smile at him politely I notice the leggy blonde on his lap and I sigh heartily as he nuzzles into her neck his eyes on me the entire time.

I turn back round to Chris as he hands me an m&m "no no no it's all about the blue ones" I mutter and he laughs me off before shoving a handful of them into his mouth. I gasp in mock horror before slapping his chest lightly "that is practically m&m genocide" I whisper and he laughs again before choking on an m&m. I can't help but fall over helplessly giggling at his bright red face before slapping him on the back.

"Oh my god I almost died" he says slapping the table dramatically and I fall into another fit of laughter as he pouts "it's not funny" he says as I continue to laugh completely forgetting about Xavier and his unknown flavour of the day. That is until two large strong arms envelope around my waist and I'm being dragged up from my seat "hey man what's the big deal?" Chris asks as I'm pressed against an incredibly muscular torso "family emergency don't interfere" I hear Xavier demand and I roll my eyes
"Catch ya later Chris" I yell as Xavier carries me off but before we leave I hear Xavier mutter something under his breath that I wasn't supposed to hear but it gives me chills "yeah not likely."