Chapter Fifty-Seven| Mr. and Mrs. Toews

Jonathan

"Holy shit you look pale" Patrick says walking into the little room I was getting ready to get married in. "Patrick, your closer to a worse man than a best man right now" I scold and he laughs. "I'm messing with you, you look great. Lighten up" he says smacking my chest. "This isn't a hockey game Pat, this is a little bit more serious" I remind him. "Just a little" he chirps and I send him a glare. "Alright alright, I got it. All the girls are ready and people are arriving. We should be started in thirty minutes. Everything is here and on schedule. Now will you stop being Captain Serious and be Jonny Fun Times" he asks. "I hate both of those nicknames" I laugh and he cracks a smile. I check the mirror for the hundredth time and decide that it was time. I would finally marry my best friend.

I stand at the alter that was like the canopy I purposed in. Covered in lights and flowers and in front of rows of white chairs under the beautiful Chicago sky. There weren't many people here, just the team and their family then my friends and family. Mary Kate insisted she didn't have anyone she wanted to invite so I didn't fight it. The bridesmaids and groomsmen come out and looked real sharp in the red and white, always did love those colors. Vanessa and Patrick were the last two out and the take their spots up by me. The music starts and everyone raises and turns to the back. I try to imagine what she would look like but nothing could prepare me for what I was about to see. I look down the isle to see my dad arm in arm with the most beautiful sight I've ever seen. Mary Kate stood at the end of the isle in a wedding dress that was fitted at the top and was sheer around her neck and shoulders, cutting off after her shoulders. There was a red belt where the dress flowed out under it, it was complicated in the simplest way, much like her. I feel my chest tighten as my heart beats against my rib cage. I try to fight back the tears as she made her way to me but there was nothing I could do to stop them, everything I could ever dreamed up in a girl was standing about twenty feet from me and I would do anything to make her mine this very instant. It felt like forever as she walked down the isle but it gave me more time to admire her. Her brilliant blue eyes and sandy brown hair. Each piece of hair is strategically placed and it looked like Walt Disney drew her up himself. My dad kisses her temple and she steps across from me. She takes her thumb and wipes away a tear that had escaped before she fixes my tie. "Can't take you anywhere" she jokes and everyone laughs lightly. Even here she was still cracking jokes. The priest starts talking but I couldn't hear anything over the thumping of my heart. It comes time for the vows and she goes first.

"Jonathan, I couldn't figure out what to say to you for the longest time because no words can describe just how much you mean to me. You give me a reason to smile, a reason to chase my dreams, and a reason to breath. For so long I kept asking why god kept me here, what was my purpose if everything I lived for died in that crash. But now I see that I'm here because I still had dreams to go after. I wanted to play hockey, represent my country on the biggest stage in the biggest game, play for the NHL, play for the Stanley cup, and eventually fall in love. Most little girls dreamed of getting married and having a family. Maybe be a veterinarian or save people's lives. Me? I wanted my name in the hockey hall of fame, I wanted to skate alongside the best and inspire others along the way. When I met you I didn't think that all my dreams would become a reality thanks to you. Hell, we didn't even have an National Hockey League at the time. But you saw something in me, something I had given up on long before then. You saw my hopes and dreams and you knew that I could do it with a little help. For some stupid reason when I jumped into the night sky, you caught me. And I still feel like I'm still amongst the clouds, waiting to wake up. All my childhood dreams are achieved and now I have new ones. Ones that I can only do with you by my side. I think god kept me here to find you, to chase my dreams and change people's lives. Whatever the reason... I'm thankful, because without you there is no me. I love you Jon, forever".

"I usually always know what to say, even as a kid people asked me for advice and I could muster something up. I might not have known what I was talking about but they listened. That was until I met this bright eyed girl with some serious muscle and the brightest outlook on life. I had no clue what I was getting myself into when I started that conversation that day, but man am I happy I did. I was intimidated, I've never seen anyone quite like you. My whole life has been strictly hockey, but now it's hockey and Mary Kate. You were so mysterious yet every time I asked you something you had a answer. You wanted to know everything there was to know and I quickly became addicted to your curiosity. Then I saw you on ice and I just knew you belonged out there. Not a single day did I doubt that you wouldn't make the US team or eventually the NHL. Now I get to play alongside the love of my life and my two favorite things are combined into one. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I have never met a person like you, who makes me feel the way you do. You're the reason I wake up with a smile on my face every morning because when I turn over I know that you'll be there. Thanks for jumping because you're a great catch. I can't wait to see what the rest of our lives together has in store for us, and I hope you never quit chasing dreams".

The priest says a few more things and I was waiting for my cue. Finally he tells me to kiss my bride and I happily oblige. "I love you Mrs. Toews" I smile. "And I love you, Mr. Toews" she says as I lace my hand through hers. We walk down the isle as people threw rice. Some threw harder than others... Shaw. We take pictures in the city then head to the reception. "Hey guess what" I ask as we pull up to the reception. "Cattle is the same thing as cows" she guesses. "Well, yes. But that's not what I was going to say" I laugh. "Okay what" she wonders. "We're married" I say and she grows a smile. "That sounds pretty freaking good" she admits. We go in and see Corey was already at the DJ booth. We eat our dinner and make our way around to all the tables to thank them for coming. Eventually it was time for our first dance and she picked the song. Patrick brings out my guitar and hands it to me and gives the microphone to Mary Kate. She hands me a sheet and I recognize the chords and start to play. It was "Lucky" by Jason Mraz and one of the first songs I learned on this thing. She sings to me as I play to her and we didn't sound terrible. "I'm lucky I'm in love with my best friend. Lucky to have been where I have been. Lucky to be coming home again. Lucky we're in love in every way. Lucky to have stayed where we have stayed. Lucky to be coming home someday" she finishes running her hand along my jawline. The party comes out and dances to the song I chose which is All of Me by John Legend. "So Mr. Toews, riddle me this. You've done it all and you're just 27. What are your aspirations" she asks me. "Well Mrs. Toews, I think I'm going to start by giving back. You're right, the things in life worth having can't be bought with money. I see that now. I'm going to follow in the footsteps of my beautiful wife and start helping people" I say as we sway to the music. I look over to Vanessa and Pat as she laughs at something Patrick said. "When do you think Patrick will ever get the balls to ask her to marry him" I ask and she looks over. "Soon I hope" she admits. "So, what is the golden couple going to do next" I ask as the music stops. "You can't plan some of these things. Sometimes you just have to hope for the best and dream on".