Chapter Twenty-Three| De-troit Sucks

Mary Kate

The boys easily take down the Wild in five games, their only loss coming in over time of game three. Patrick is just tearing it up and I'm sure he's on Minnesotas bad side from here on out. That's how is was for mast teams. It named the Blackhawks. Next up was the Detroit Red Wings, enough said. You don't need to know a lot about hockey to know the Wings and Hawks despise each other. Like a lot. Two original six franchises who seem to find each other on the biggest stage going head to head. Step one foot in the UC or the Old Chicago Arena and you will hear loud chants of "De-troit sucks" ring out very often. Every game between the two are physical and emotional, but entertaining as hell. After falling 3-1 in the series this unbeatable team seemed to look beaten. But there's something about this team that makes you think that you should never stop believing. I never do, there isn't anything they can't do if they put their mind to it. They had won three games in a row many times before and were brilliant at home. They thrive of pressure situations and it doesn't get much much more stressful than this.

That brings us to game seven. The fans were nervous but the boys were not. They seemed unfathomed by all the talk and history being shoved down their throats. I guess it helps to have a core such as this one where not only is the talent abundant but so is the leadership. The leader of the leaders just so happened to be my boyfriend, so that was pretty cool. "I just want this game to be over with already" Patrick whines as we walk out the car and to the United Center. "In due time my good friend" Jonny says. "Mary Kate, can you say something uplifting and motivational please" Patrick asks me with his blue eyes sparkling and I ponder my thoughts for a second. "Don't suck" I announce causing Jonathan to laugh. I've told him that many times before so he probably liked that he wasn't at the receiving end of this one liner. "I'm kidding. A river can cut through rock not because of its power but because of its persistence" I say and he grows a confused expression. "I don't follow" he responds and I roll my eyes. "Think of the best sports teams. They are all consistent, constantly doing what they need to in order to accomplish their goals. It's not always blow out wins or dominate performances because at the end of the day a win is a win, wether it be by 20 or 2. Those teams... they're the river, piece by piece wearing down the rock that is their obstacles. Eventually the river is shaped and the river is now free to flow as it chooses, only after the path was carved. You guys keep wearing this team down you too pave the path of your future. But only if you remain persistent" I clarify. "Ohhhh that makes a lot more sense" he says bobbing his head. Why do I even bother with this boy?

They boys were playing a lot more aggressive today. We worked hard on board battles at practice and it's showing. But the one goal lead showed to not be enough and the game heads into over time. "Still like OT Duncs" I chirp at Duncan and he sends me a playful glare earning a laugh from Q. It's scary messing with him but I save my best jokes for him. The original six franchises need more that seven regulation games to decide who's the best in this one. I still hate over time but I knew we weren't leaving this building without a win tonight. The Hawks have a knack for the dramatics and this was nerve wracking. Over time starts and everyone in the UC was on the edge of their seats, there were chances at both ends of the ice but neither Crow or Jimmy would budge. Eventually Seabrook carries the puck across the blue line and was all alone. He puts the puck towards the net and it flies pass Howard and this game was over. Seabs lets out a roar as everyone floods the ice while chealsea dagger played throughout the arena. The sea of red looked more like a tropical storm as everyone celebrated with the people around them. Was defiantly one of the cooler experiences of my life.

We get home after the game beyond exhausted. Usually we celebrated but that was the most physically and emotionally draining series of my life. I was super happy the Hawks won because I can get back on the ice tomorrow when they start preparing for the Kings and I've been itching to get back out there. I laid on the couch with Jon and Patrick as we all were spaced out slumped over. We were supposed to find food but we found the couch first and we all know what happens when that happens. "Hey Patrick... remember back in 2010 when you won us the cup in OT" Jonathan asks hanging upside down. "Yeah Jon" he mumbles back. "Tonight's game is second best only to that one" he says and we all nod in agreement. We all end up passing out in the weirdest positions while watching sports center recap the game and I'm not sure any of us minded either. We were going to the Western Conference Finals.